Mixing PC8500 Ram with PC6400 Ram?

shantd

Gawd
Hey guys. I've had 4GB of ram in my system since I built it in 2008. Honestly, I can't tell if it's really slowing me down but if it is, I sure can't feel it. All other components are top notch, I do all my gaming at max settings.

I was at Frye's today and saw a great deal ($60 for both dimms!) on the exact same type of ram my motherboard takes. Only problem, I totally forgot the stats on my existing ram, which it turns out is the faster PC8500s. The new ones are only PC2-6400.

My question is, do I need to return the new set or will it be OK to mix them? I fully realize that mixing ram like that is anything buit common practice, but as llong as it's not gonna contribute to crashes or anything serious, I think it will be worth it to have 8GB.

Here are the exact models I'm talking about:

- Patriot PC2-6400s: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220280

- G-Skill PB8500s: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Please have a look and tell me what I should do. Thanks a bunch guys, don't know what I'd do without this forum.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I've had 4GB of ram in my system since I built it in 2008. Honestly, I can't tell if it's really slowing me down but if it is, I sure can't feel it. All other components are top notch, I do all my gaming at max settings.

I was at Frye's today and saw a great deal ($60 for both dimms!) on the exact same type of ram my motherboard takes. Only problem, I totally forgot the stats on my existing ram, which it turns out is the faster PC8500s. The new ones are only PC2-6400.

My question is, do I need to return the new set or will it be OK to mix them? I fully realize that mixing ram like that is anything buit common practice, but as llong as it's not gonna contribute to crashes or anything serious, I think it will be worth it to have 8GB.

Here are the exact models I'm talking about:

- Patriot PC2-6400s: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220280

- G-Skill PB8500s: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Please have a look and tell me what I should do. Thanks a bunch guys, don't know what I'd do without this forum.

Hi, shantd,

Personally, I would return the Patriot memory. If you did use the Patriot memory you have have to downclock the PC8500 sticks to match the 6400s. But, ultimately it's your decision and, I'm sure, other will drop by and offer their own opinions.

BTW, your system specs would be helpful.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, so the clocks do have to match. I know the 8500s run at 1066. Not sure how fast 6400s are but it will undoubtedly be a hit...but will it be noticeable? I guess that's the question...

BTW, I noticed that the older ram is referred to as PC___(ie PC8500) but the new ram is labeled PC2___. What does that 2 mean?

Thanks, so the clocks do have to match. I know the 8500s run at 1066. Not sure how fast 6400s are but it will undoubtedly be a hit...but will it be noticeable? I guess that's the question...

BTW, I noticed that the older ram is referred to as PC___(ie PC8500) but the new ram is labeled PC2___. What does that 2 mean?

Hi, shantd,

It denotes second-generation SDRAM.

Hope this helps.

The 6400's are ddr2 800.

As stated above if you run them all, the board will automatically downclock the faster ram to the speed of the slowest ram.

I haven't used DDR2 ram in about 4 years, but when I did, I had PC6400 and bought the 8500's... and couldnt tell the difference.

Thanks you guys, scholars & gentlemen as always. I'm leaning toward just keeping the 6400s. I know we see a lot of hard core types in here who are convinced every last mhz bump counts. We all know the type, they'll buy the fastest CPU on release day when they could spend next to half for the next model down. I don't even bother overclocking my system because I just don't feel the difference enough. I'll get a moderate bump in frame rates, numerically. But again, those extra frames don't amount to much...not to me anyway. I just wanna make sure there aren't too many models between 6400 & 8500. If they're only 2 or 3 notches apart, I can live with that. Any more? Then it almost becomes a question of why not pay a bit more and have the fastest set?

Oh, one last question. If PC2 denotes 2nd generation ram and my 8500s are 1st generation, is it possible that this could narrow the speed gap? I guess what I should be asking is, what exactly does the fact that they're 2nd generation mean in practical terms?

More Ram > Ram Speeds

I agree with that but I have to say, I think people probably exaggerated the speed benefits of ram as well. Unless you're flat out depriving your system of the minimum amount needed to support your usage habits, I don't believe a surplus will amount to much. I've been told that my 4GB of memory is way too low nowadays for a serious gaming rig. If that's true, I haven't seen a shred of evidence of it in 5 years.

I'm one of those guys who leaves my system on for days at a time, never have less than 15-20 tabs of websites open in firefox, I'm running programs and a bunch of utilities to monitor CPU heat, HDD performance, GPU heat, benchmarking and performance monitors, etc...And even with all that going, I'll decide to start playing a game. I've been using my computer this way from day one, and there is absolutely no performance fluctuation that I can feel. My only problem, literally, has always been keeping the heat down.

So yes, while I have decided to increase my ram, I'm truly not expecting to notice any real world changes from it. I was at Frye's, they had a good deal on ram that's not always easy to find in the stores nowadays, so I went for it. If I actually get a performance bump out of it that will be an unexpected treat.

PS - I should mention that while I built this rig 5 years back, I did replace my GPU with an AMD 6970 about a year ago. Now THAT was an upgrade you could feel, baby!

Back