Mixing memory boards

carlmart

Gawd
I am entering Win 7 realms to be able to use Avid Media Composer with more memory than with XP.

What I already have installed is 2 x 2Gb Corsair XMS2, which replaced 2 x 1Gb Patriot with slightly better latency.

What I wonder is if I can add the two Patriot boards on my motherboard, so I can have 6Gb.

Can I? What are the potential problems I might have? Can I solve them?

Oh, so very sorry! My mistake.

My board is a Gigabyte GA-EP31 DS3L v1.

Would that information be available on the user manual?

I don't have your board but I am running 2x2GB and 1x4GB of RAM and haven't had any problems so far. Different brands but the speeds and timings are identical. You should be fine if the speeds and timings are the same.

Latencies on my memories is not the same, but I think speed is.
It may be a problem. Some times the RAM with the lower latencies will increase automatically to make them equal and they work fine together but I have seen times where that doesn't happen and the RAM won't work together.

OK. How do I test them to see if they can work together?

What error or problem should I look for?

OK. How do I test them to see if they can work together?

What error or problem should I look for?

Oh the "error" will be easy to spot. In my experience if the sticks won't work together then your PC won't boot. If the PC boots then you should be good to go.

Well, as you said the PC didn't boot.

Both memories are DDR2 800MHz types, but one is 5-5-5-18 and the other 4-4-4-12.

The other reason for not booting might be slot contact, as those computer connectors are always problematic.

I wonder if there was a way to clean them internally, as if I am not wrong I already swapped slots on the other pair because of no reason PC booting, and the problem seemed to be that.

Sorry to say that now my question became academic, as my MB stopped working.

It refuses to boot again, and I checked everything I know to see what might be the problem. Tried a different video board, different memories, different slots for the memories. Nothing: it turns on but doesn't boot.

So I already bought another MB, a GA-EP43-DS3L, which BTW does accept up to 16Gb memory and hopefully will take my 6Gbs.

It will take until next week to arrive here, because of post office strike in my country, so by then I will let you know.

Thanks!

Back