MIT Student Makes Super Utility Belt

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you’ve ever watched a super hero fire a grappling hook, attach it to his belt and then ascend a building in mere seconds…you’ll love this invention. The guy won a $30,000 prize for his invention and has started his own company.

A fully loaded firefighter could reach the top of a 30-story building in only 30 seconds, compared to the six minutes or more it often takes to trudge up stairs with 80 to 100 pounds of equipment. The device, which is the size of a hand-held power tool, can lift a 250-pound load more than 600 feet into the air at nearly 10 feet per second, all on a single battery charge.

If you’ve ever watched a super hero fire a grappling hook
Sorry, but this

vertinvention1apfe2.jpg

isn't this :rolleyes: :D

fullsuit1zl4.jpg

Well reading the actual description of what happened...your title seems a bit missleading, but its better than my title which would be "Mutha F-ing Winches on my Mutha F-ing Belt!!!".

But it would be cool to see sometime in the future actual news footage of firefighters shooting grappling hooks to the top of a burning building, run up its side, and bring down people waving for help from the windows...or Jack Bauer.

Well reading the actual description of what happened...your title seems a bit missleading, but its better than my title which would be "Mutha F-ing Winches on my Mutha F-ing Belt!!!".

But it would be cool to see sometime in the future actual news footage of firefighters shooting grappling hooks to the top of a burning building, run up its side, and bring down people waving for help from the windows...or Jack Bauer.

Article points out you need anchored ropes, grappling hooks won't really work as you can't verify that they will hold. So no Batman... yet.

Well, too bad only a few elite big-city firefighting units will be able to afford one at $10k each....:rolleyes:

Well, too bad only a few elite big-city firefighting units will be able to afford one at $10k each....:rolleyes:

i wouldent be too sure about that... most non volunteer fire depts get a lot of money... heck down here all the fire trucks have their $100k thermal imaging goggles in them :eek:

plus each radio on each persons belt is an XTS5000 weighing in at a cool $4k each

Whats sad is when anything has "rescue", "medical", or "life saving" labeled on it, they charge 10 times more for the item.

Whats sad is when anything has "rescue", "medical", or "life saving" labeled on it, they charge 10 times more for the item.

because of the liability associated with it

because of the liability associated with it

Not true. My family is in the medical industry and it's all about lining your pockets deep. It's a tool that saves lives therefore no dollar figure can be high enough.

A life of a person climbing the side of a cliff with this thing is the same weighted value of that of a firefighter climbing the side of a building.

ya but at the same time everything has to be over-engineered becuase it better work when you go to use it if peoples lives are going to depend on it... a failure could mean a nice lawsuit

ya but at the same time everything has to be over-engineered becuase it better work when you go to use it if peoples lives are going to depend on it... a failure could mean a nice lawsuit

I agree. However, in this case and with many others, you can't engineer a piece of tool anymore than you physically can.

In the case of say a computer system for the medical industry, yes it needs to be perfect and yes it would obviously cost a ton more... it's not just some guys homework thats on the line, it's a life. But in the case of this tool, regardless of who's using it, a life is on the line... literally.

Pretty sure I wouldn't feel very safe shooting a grappling hook towards a BURNING ROOF.

I mean, if it were on fire. I guess they wouldn't use it otherwise. But in any case, I still wouldn't feel safe hanging on a rope that's supported by something on a building that's on fire.

Back