Mistake getting the Galaxy Nexus right now?

i was very disappointed in the Nexus. Buddy at work got one, he ended up returning it for a Razr and loves it. The Nexus was really not much better than my Charge, pretty damn similar actually. Sure there's tons of third party rom support. But if you aren't into all that, it's not worth much. The RAZR is honestly a nice solid phone.

If I could get a Razr Maxx that I could put CM9 on and use on T-Mobile, THAT would be the absolute perfect phone.

If I could get a Razr Maxx that I could put CM9 on and use on T-Mobile, THAT would be the absolute perfect phone.
Be better with more screen/less bezel. The fact that a 4.3" phone takes up the same footprint of a 4.7" phone is kind of sad.

I realize they had to widen it to fit the battery in there (Uses the same tech as everyone, just wide and flat), but couldn't they have used that widening for something else as well?

I guess it is odd that earlier AMOLED displays have seemed to be more stable than the current batch. I've heard of people having early burn-in issues with the Note as well.

I ended up buying a htc sensation today. they are only $270 on ebay for ones in good condition. ordered a 32gb class 4 card for it. I couldn't find anything better for the money, I really wanted 32gb of storage, the gsm nexus wasn't going to cut it, plus its more money. the only thing I wanted from the nexus was the 720p screen. planning to put a stock ICS rom on the sensation.

It's hard to justify the galaxy nexus when 28nm snapdragons are starting to come out.

HUGE process improvement.

It's hard to justify the galaxy nexus when 28nm snapdragons are starting to come out.

HUGE process improvement.

Let me know when one has stock ice cream sandwhich and chipset thats easy to develop for. The snapdragon is one of the most closed platforms out there. Also i doubt you'll find one for 399.99 unlocked.

I've had my GSM nexus for a week now and so far it's been great. Best smartphone i've ever owned.
The screen is fine, no problems there. Battery life is better than I expected based upon what people have said.
The indicators for wifi and cell signal strength do show lower than any of the other phones i've had. However, it seems to be purely cosmetic as I haven't actually had any signal issues. Always good connection and speed.

So far so good!

I've had my GSM nexus for a week now and so far it's been great. Best smartphone i've ever owned.
The screen is fine, no problems there. Battery life is better than I expected based upon what people have said.
The indicators for wifi and cell signal strength do show lower than any of the other phones i've had. However, it seems to be purely cosmetic as I haven't actually had any signal issues. Always good connection and speed.

So far so good!

Yeah Samsung is very pessimistic with the bars. The dbm is what matters.

Had my LTE Nexus for about 6 hours at this point and I'm already pissed. Network keeps dropping in and out, searching for network in places where my DInc had great signal strength. I'm not just looking at bars, it seems extremely sensitive to minor changes in location, with signal strength plummeting regularly in random locations where I had no issues before

Had my LTE Nexus for about 6 hours at this point and I'm already pissed. Network keeps dropping in and out, searching for network in places where my DInc had great signal strength. I'm not just looking at bars, it seems extremely sensitive to minor changes in location, with signal strength plummeting regularly in random locations where I had no issues before
You need to update the radios

You need to update the radios

That was the same thing I told my buddy when he got the Galaxy Nexus on VZW. He was like....there's no updates available! It was pretty bad to be honest. He was much much happier with the RAZR after swapping. As a phone the Motorola will always be better than the Samsung.

That was the same thing I told my buddy when he got the Galaxy Nexus on VZW. He was like....there's no updates available! It was pretty bad to be honest. He was much much happier with the RAZR after swapping. As a phone the Motorola will always be better than the Samsung.
Google updated the build to 4.0.4 months ago....but fucking vzw is holding the update back for qc testing. So the phone is still on 4.0.2.

Updating the radio manually makes a huuuuge difference. I had the same issues when I got my nexus but the update pretty much fixed it.

Google updated the build to 4.0.4 months ago....but fucking vzw is holding the update back for qc testing. So the phone is still on 4.0.2.

Updating the radio manually makes a huuuuge difference. I had the same issues when I got my nexus but the update pretty much fixed it.

I know, but average joe doesn't give a fuck, it works or it doesn't. That's why he ditched the Nexus for the RAZR and never looked back.

I'm a modder and even the radio issue bugs me on my Galaxy Nexus. I'm a regular over at XDA forum, and know my way around modding anything android. From my Evo, Touchpad, and now my Nexus... I know a thing or two.

I updated to the latest and greatest radios that were posted - all I can say is they "maybe kinda sorta" helped?

what super pisses me off is that I can get 4G a block from where I live on the road, but once in my apartment... I'm back down to mediocre 3G speeds. I supposed it doesn't matter TOO much as I can tap into my DSL/Wifi (sucks though as that's only 3mbit/sec)

The average person doesn't even know what a radio firmware is or what it does, much less care. As much as I love my Galaxy Nexus, part of me wonders what my reception and performance would be like if I had the Razr Maxx instead.

I'd still be out of pocket about 300 dollars or more if I wanted to make the switch from a Galaxy Nexus to the Razr Maxx. So I'm keeping what I have :)

I'm a modder and even the radio issue bugs me on my Galaxy Nexus. I'm a regular over at XDA forum, and know my way around modding anything android. From my Evo, Touchpad, and now my Nexus... I know a thing or two.

I updated to the latest and greatest radios that were posted - all I can say is they "maybe kinda sorta" helped?

what super pisses me off is that I can get 4G a block from where I live on the road, but once in my apartment... I'm back down to mediocre 3G speeds. I supposed it doesn't matter TOO much as I can tap into my DSL/Wifi (sucks though as that's only 3mbit/sec)

The average person doesn't even know what a radio firmware is or what it does, much less care. As much as I love my Galaxy Nexus, part of me wonders what my reception and performance would be like if I had the Razr Maxx instead.

I'd still be out of pocket about 300 dollars or more if I wanted to make the switch from a Galaxy Nexus to the Razr Maxx. So I'm keeping what I have :)
Could be worse. I get 4G at work but no reception at all in my house 2 miles down the road.

Welp guys, I got sick and tired of my phone, especially today with it not syncing my calendars properly, and, in a fit of rage/impulse.....

bought the Galaxy Nexus. :D

I bought it from the Google Play store, as well as a holster and the genuine Samsung 2000mah battery. It's my full intent to hack it up with CM9 (or the best ROM out there for it), and I'll be sure to fill you guys in how it goes for me.

+1 on the inductive charging mod -

for like 8 dollars i got all the parts off amazon, some copper tape, solder, and time is all you really need. It' even works through my ringke slim case :)

+1 on the inductive charging mod -

for like 8 dollars i got all the parts off amazon, some copper tape, solder, and time is all you really need. It' even works through my ringke slim case :)

How did you manage to fit everything under the standard backplate? I can't get the thing to snap down no matter what, and that's before even adding additional magnets. I'm actually waiting on an extended battery backplate before finishing up the mod.

personally i think nexus > s3 or one unless you need SD card. screen is great, pure android rocks and brand new price is $399 used $300 compare to galaxy s3 at $799.

The Galaxy Nexus in my opinion is still the best Android phone on the market for May 2012. Nothing beats pure stock ICS, and so many great ROM's out for it too. The S3 has the same screen, nothing improved there, and TouchWizz blows. HTC One X is nice, but still prefer sock Android over Sense 4. So if deciding between the Nexus...Galaxy S3...One X...I still strongly suggest the Galaxy Nexus no question.

The biggest question is, should you get the Galaxy Nexus, or just wait for the Nexus-Four coming in November ? Google should have released the unlocked GSM version at launch, or at least back in January, but the Galaxy Nexus has been out for almost 7 months already, and only about 5 months or so until the next gen Nexus arrives.

Right now is a tough time to buy a new phone, because all the hot new releases come out in the Fall, not that far away. In Sept/Oct Apple will release the next iPhone...Microsoft has Windows8-Apollo coming in the Fall...and of course Google will release Android 5.0 Jellybean Nexus devices this Fall as well.

I have been doing some unscientific comparisons on signal strength when compared to my previous phones(samsung focus, Motorola Atrix) and my wife's iphone4 around town. Seems to be about equal.

I have the unlocked GSM version.

I have been doing some unscientific comparisons on signal strength when compared to my previous phones(samsung focus, Motorola Atrix) and my wife's iphone4 around town. Seems to be about equal.

I have the unlocked GSM version.

Are you on Straight Talk or pre-paid T-Mobile plan ?

Update: got my phone (last night actually). I ordered this directly from the Google play store.

Impressions:

A. Screen. I see why everyone is complaining about it. However, I think I must have gotten lucky. :)
1. Grays are NOT purple! :D
2. Blacks are black (no splotches).
3. However, the left side of the screen is ever so slightly greener than the rest of the screen.
4. Banding on grays, could be better.
5. Whites look like dirty newspaper. Just like everyone was complaining about.

The kicker to all this?

All of these are fixed by simply raising the brightness. Running the AMOLED test with the brightness turned up, my gray screen has no glitches on it and bands almost perfectly. The white screen is perfectly white, and the black screen is, well, black.

B. Phone. After I got the phone and initially booted it up to ensure that it was working, I immediately unlocked, rooted, and installed a custom ROM, new radio, etc. Right now it works flawlessly. Phone is crystal clear! I have yet to experience any data drops/lost connections.

C. Physical condition. Yeah, the plastic covering had some dust on it, but so what. As long as the phone came in perfect condition, it didn't matter to me. No scratches on the screen or anywhere else. My phone was not a refurb unit, it was brand new.

So far, I am not only impressed, but very satisfied, especially after taking a leap of faith. Now I got me a pentaband, unlocked phone, and a Nexus at that! Talk about ultimate freedom from carriers!

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask. Thanks!

Update: got my phone (last night actually). I ordered this directly from the Google play store.

Impressions:

A. Screen. I see why everyone is complaining about it. However, I think I must have gotten lucky. :)
1. Grays are NOT purple! :D
2. Blacks are black (no splotches).
3. However, the left side of the screen is ever so slightly greener than the rest of the screen.
4. Banding on grays, could be better.
5. Whites look like dirty newspaper. Just like everyone was complaining about.

The kicker to all this?

All of these are fixed by simply raising the brightness. Running the AMOLED test with the brightness turned up, my gray screen has no glitches on it and bands almost perfectly. The white screen is perfectly white, and the black screen is, well, black.

B. Phone. After I got the phone and initially booted it up to ensure that it was working, I immediately unlocked, rooted, and installed a custom ROM, new radio, etc. Right now it works flawlessly. Phone is crystal clear! I have yet to experience any data drops/lost connections.

C. Physical condition. Yeah, the plastic covering had some dust on it, but so what. As long as the phone came in perfect condition, it didn't matter to me. No scratches on the screen or anywhere else. My phone was not a refurb unit, it was brand new.

So far, I am not only impressed, but very satisfied, especially after taking a leap of faith. Now I got me a pentaband, unlocked phone, and a Nexus at that! Talk about ultimate freedom from carriers!

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask. Thanks!

The Galaxy Nexus is a great phone indeed :) What plan are you running this on ? Straight Talk or pre-paid T-Mobile ?

The Galaxy Nexus is a great phone indeed :) What plan are you running this on ? Straight Talk or pre-paid T-Mobile ?

Unfortunately I'm still with AT&T. My plan is to drop them when my contract finishes and go pre-paid T-Mobile. I'm sick of AT&T. :mad:

ajm786 said:

Yes, that is typical AMOLED behavior, there can be some severe color-shifting at different brightness levels.

Almost a week in to my VZW GNex and my satisfaction level has increased dramatically. Flashing the 4.0.4 radios didn't seem to improve reception initially, but a few days/restarts on and its been tolerable. Still not as good as my DInc, there have been times where the phone shows multiple bars but actually making a call it won't go through and then it shows no signal, so I have to wonder how much of the standby time where it thinks it has service is real. I also leave LTE off most of the time to save battery and prevent handoff issues. Other than that, I love the hardware and the smoothness of it & ICS vs a sense rom or even CM7 on my DInc is night and day. I don't think I'd have any qualms recommending getting this phone as an unlocked pre-paid carrier phone. Getting it subsidized might be another matter since there should be some pretty significantly better hardware options in the next 4-6 months.

How did you manage to fit everything under the standard backplate? I can't get the thing to snap down no matter what, and that's before even adding additional magnets. I'm actually waiting on an extended battery backplate before finishing up the mod.

I just got the Vzw extended battery and backplate, makes the phone feel so much better. Battery lasts longer too obviously :)

I have had the stuff to do the inductive charging mod for awhile now, I might try to do that this weekend and see if everything fits along with the extended battery.

For the first time ever, I hit 3+ hours display time on the same charge!!! :D I'm beating up on the phone, playing videos, music, checking email, texts, browsing, etc. I still have 30% battery left, too. And yes, this is on the original battery, as I didn't receive the expanded one yet.

For the first time ever, I hit 3+ hours display time on the same charge!!! :D I'm beating up on the phone, playing videos, music, checking email, texts, browsing, etc. I still have 30% battery left, too. And yes, this is on the original battery, as I didn't receive the expanded one yet.
Battery is not going to be a huge issue on the non-LTE variant of the Nexus.

Battery is not going to be a huge issue on the non-LTE variant of the Nexus.

That's true. Most of what I've been reading on XDA of people with horror stories with battery life were people who have the LTE variant.

That's true. Most of what I've been reading on XDA of people with horror stories with battery life were people who have the LTE variant.

And that's why ATM I still believe WiMax to be a better tech.... if only it was properly deployed.

I get 12+ hours without charging on my phone, never turn off 4G, and usually run around 2 hours of screen on.

after experiencing using my wifes new Razr Maxx with it's 3100mAh battery and still be as small as it is.....I find anything less deplorable....it's amazing how long it lasts....absolutely no reason why the Nexus line shouldn't have the same technology in it

Because Google keeps choosing Samsung.

Hopefully will be different at the end of this year but a nexus razr would be the best of both worlds

Because Google keeps choosing Samsung.

Hopefully will be different at the end of this year but a nexus razr would be the best of both worlds

I like the Samsung phones, minus the radio and battery life. Otherwise they are really nice. I carried the Fascinate and then the Charge and enjoyed both. I have no problem with the plastic body or sAMOLED screens, pentile or not, but the fact that I know the battery could be twice as large....

Back