Mistake getting the Galaxy Nexus right now?

Having tried a few Nexuses since Google started selling them direct, I'd say avoid it. There are so many awful screens out there, just zero quality control.

the ones with the bad screens what are they lacking? contrast, color? anyone know what the google play store's return policy is?

I'm gonna have to ask those of you who have the GN to post in here and tell us about the quality. I was really about to order, then read complete horror stories (not only on XDA) about the quality of the screen. Basically, the screen is just not up to par, and you will have to accept some type of major flaw with it, which includes:

1. Discoloration (top and bottom differ from each other)
2. Pixelated/screen door effect
3. Strips of discoloration on screen
4. Color banding
5. Image burn

Any of you guys can provide input on this? I know the GN is a good price, but I'm just not going to plunk down $400 for a device that has these types of flaws.

Every phone screen has each to a certain extent, it's all about how much you can see it. Screen burn in particular is a pretty standard issue.

Every phone screen has each to a certain extent, it's all about how much you can see it. Screen burn in particular is a pretty standard issue.

Ok, but what I'm doing is comparing to what I have now: the Inspire 4G, which has a S-LCD. The question that I'm posing is: "Why would I want to "upgrade" to something so flawed compared to what I have now?"

dang, I'm reading that thread on xda about the screen issues. looks like asus transformer all over again.

yup. just reminds me of when I was looking to buy the asus transformer and it ended up having alot of issues. people would return it and the replacements would either have some of the issues fixed but have new problems. maybe I should get the S2 or htc sensation, i know the sensation has fully working ics roms. not sure about the S2. I want a good screen though, thats why I was looking at the nexus.

I'm gonna have to ask those of you who have the GN to post in here and tell us about the quality. I was really about to order, then read complete horror stories (not only on XDA) about the quality of the screen. Basically, the screen is just not up to par, and you will have to accept some type of major flaw with it, which includes:

4. Color banding
5. Image burn

Any of you guys can provide input on this? I know the GN is a good price, but I'm just not going to plunk down $400 for a device that has these types of flaws.

Been through 3 GN, and none of them have any screen issues. The signal issue on the other hand is annoying and really makes me regret ever getting the phone. The screen has been perfect and has been one of the redeeming qualities of it.

Havent had any issues with my screen, and no issues with anything .....

Obviously just my experience but I haven't had a single issue with mine. I sincerely doubt there is any difference in qc between stores.. Mine was an unlocked docomo from amazon.

the ones with the bad screens what are they lacking? contrast, color? anyone know what the google play store's return policy is?

I had an issue with the screen on my Galaxy Nexus. It had faint banding, usually not noticeable unless the background was gray and my brightness was low, but still not acceptable. Amazon took care of it with no issues, overnighted the new phone to me and sent me a label to send the defective one back. Second phone had no banding or discoloration(some will see a yellow or green tint along edges).

4. Color banding
5. Image burn

I have absolutely none of those. The screen on the GNex is the best I've ever had on a VZW phone.

Been through 3 GN, and none of them have any screen issues. The signal issue on the other hand is annoying and really makes me regret ever getting the phone. The screen has been perfect and has been one of the redeeming qualities of it.
You on VZW? Flashing the new radio images from Google will greatly help your radio woes. I know my phone's radio out of the box on 4.0.2 was pitiful. 4.0.4 radios are pretty good though. Not as good as my moto phones, but good enough that I'm not dropping data all the time.

Obviously just my experience but I haven't had a single issue with mine. I sincerely doubt there is any difference in qc between stores.. Mine was an unlocked docomo from amazon.

No issues with mine either. I've had mine along with an extended battery since launch. Battery life my only complaint but only when I'm not on Wifi. Normal use (email, texts, web, etc) at home and work while on wifi I'll have about 60-70% left when I go to bed. Off of wifi it's ok, not great.

At work, all of the gnex's we got at launch work great, but some of the more recent ones have had mic issues where it sounds like you're under water.

Best Verizon phone I've used and some of the more recent ones I've used were Fascinate, Droid X, Thunderbolt, Charge, and Razr. Pretty much the only phone where I haven't felt the need to continuously flash roms.

You on VZW? Flashing the new radio images from Google will greatly help your radio woes. I know my phone's radio out of the box on 4.0.2 was pitiful. 4.0.4 radios are pretty good though. Not as good as my moto phones, but good enough that I'm not dropping data all the time.

Interesting. I'll look into this.

Thanks guys for the input. You give me hope. :)

I was going to get mine from the Google Play store, but it seems that's where most, if not all, the issues are generated from. Where did most of you get your phones? VZW? Amazon? Newegg? Third party stores? I'm wondering if there's a particular retailer that I should get it from where I won't have all those issues.

BTW, my own HTC Inspire I had to get replaced, because it was obviously defected. I need to be sure that if I get a gimped phone, I'm able to return it with minimal to no cost, so the retailer I buy from has to be a good one. Preferably other than the Google Play store. Is Negri Electronics any good?

Thanks guys for the input. You give me hope. :)

I was going to get mine from the Google Play store, but it seems that's where most, if not all, the issues are generated from. Where did most of you get your phones? VZW? Amazon? Newegg? Third party stores? I'm wondering if there's a particular retailer that I should get it from where I won't have all those issues.

BTW, my own HTC Inspire I had to get replaced, because it was obviously defected. I need to be sure that if I get a gimped phone, I'm able to return it with minimal to no cost, so the retailer I buy from has to be a good one. Preferably other than the Google Play store. Is Negri Electronics any good?
Got mine from Amazon (VZW) but I don't think you are going to get the unlocked GSM phone for $400 anywhere other than google.

4. Color banding
5. Image burn

Unit 1:

Image retention/temporary image burn.
Vertical banding (a vertical band that is dimmer than the rest of the screen).

Unit 2:

Discoloration (top and bottom).

Unit 3:

Purple grays.

Last edited:
I got my GN from Amazon wireless under a new Verizon contract.

Very happy with the phone - modding it makes an already good phone even better. I will say I agree some phones seem to have a signal issue. I don't know if its my phone or just the way LTE behaves in general.

I'm running the stock battery and with juice defender and I can get by about a day. If I was using LTE all the time I'm sure it would be less than that.

If you feel comfortable updating your phone and radios manually with all the good stuff that gets posted to XDA forums you will love the phone :)

Samsung Galaxy S II is out of the question for me. It's a well known fact that it has a shitty Yamaha audio codec for sound. After owning the Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate) which had a Wolfson audio chip, no way in hell I'm downgrading to the crap that's in the SGS II.

Granted the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a Wolfson, but the codec is not inherently shitty; it's actually very decent. So since I actually use my phone for music listening (fidelity), SGS II is not being considered.

Oh wow I didn't know that I might have to try out the Nexus instead.

I am a huge phone whore, and the Galaxy Nexus is the first phone in a long while that has kept me satisfied for 6 months, not itching for a new device, like I normally am, well except the Nexus-Four this Fall, will be a first week purchase for me.

Last year I had the EVO 4G...Nexus-S 4G...EVO 3D...Galaxy SII...and now the Galaxy Nexus since December, and LOVE it. The development community is huge for this phone, and pure stock ICS is the best, I hate Touchwizz, and Motorblur I won't even mention how nasty that is, I will say Sense is the only UI that is pretty good other than stock.

Unit 1:

Vertical banding (a vertical band that is dimmer than the rest of the screen).

Unit 2:

Unit 3:

Purple grays.

I'm going to take a stab at a guess and say that your phone was a GSM unit. Correct?

I got my GN from Amazon wireless under a new Verizon contract.

Very happy with the phone - modding it makes an already good phone even better. I will say I agree some phones seem to have a signal issue. I don't know if its my phone or just the way LTE behaves in general.

I'm running the stock battery and with juice defender and I can get by about a day. If I was using LTE all the time I'm sure it would be less than that.

If you feel comfortable updating your phone and radios manually with all the good stuff that gets posted to XDA forums you will love the phone :)

Again, I'm starting to notice a trend here. It seems like most of the people who get Verizon Wireless GNs seem to have the least problems, whereas the GSM units have the most.

I received mine on Friday from google and haven't noticed any screen issues at all. So far it's pretty much flawless.

I received mine on Friday from google and haven't noticed any screen issues at all. So far it's pretty much flawless.

Did you include any special instructions, or you just purchased one outright?

got mine last week.

It was obvious mine was a return from someone else. The plastic screen cover had dust everywhere. Banding and minor image retention when you look closely.90% of the time you cant really tell. Overall happy.

I got a Nexus from Amazon wireless last week and have already returned it for another Nexus. The network connectivity was horrendous! Sitting next to my wife's RAZR or my co-workers Rezound, this phone's signal was ALWAYS 20-30 dBm worse. It barely ever connected to 4G (though the Rezound and RAZR were solid) and was without signal 28% of the time.

Guess what...the replacement is EXACTLY THE SAME! The radio in the NEXUS is CRAP.

My Rezound will be here tomorrow and can't wait.

I think I'll sit out this round and wait for the SIII. The negativity surrounding the Nexus is overwhelming. I understand every product comes with its negatives, but for the GN, the positives are getting far outweighed.

I think I'll sit out this round and wait for the SIII. The negativity surrounding the Nexus is overwhelming. I understand every product comes with its negatives, but for the GN, the positives are getting far outweighed.

The phone still has a 5 star rating on almost every site. People who have issues are far more likely to post about it.

the galaxy nexus screen is sketchy, but guess what, the SGS3 has the same kind of screen.

good luck

I don't understand why Samsung uses AMOLED displays. They have so many issues that could go wrong with them. Are they that superior in image quality? Isn't the HTC One X super LCD? That screen looks amazing.

I don't understand why Samsung uses AMOLED displays. They have so many issues that could go wrong with them. Are they that superior in image quality? Isn't the HTC One X super LCD? That screen looks amazing.

There not as bad as people make them seem and the contrast is amazing. I would never go back to lcd. My original incredible had AMOLED and one of my requirements for my next phone was that it had to be AMOLED.

the galaxy nexus screen is sketchy, but guess what, the SGS3 has the same kind of screen.

good luck

Yes, I understand that. :( But if I had to pick between two evils, I'd rather take the one that offers me more (SD card slot AND Wolfson audio chipset :D).

There not as bad as people make them seem and the contrast is amazing. I would never go back to lcd. My original incredible had AMOLED and one of my requirements for my next phone was that it had to be AMOLED.

I should mention that I have my original old SGS (Samsung Captivate). The AMOLED screen looks GREAT. But scouring over Google, I do not see that many issues with it like I do with all the new ones. Heck, even the old screen has no burn in, bad pixels or anything. It just has noticeable banding, but that was to be expected since it was first gen AMOLED.

Yes, I understand that. :( But if I had to pick between two evils, I'd rather take the one that offers me more (SD card slot AND Wolfson audio chipset :D).

I should mention that I have my original old SGS (Samsung Captivate). The AMOLED screen looks GREAT. But scouring over Google, I do not see that many issues with it like I do with all the new ones. Heck, even the old screen has no burn in, bad pixels or anything. It just has noticeable banding, but that was to be expected since it was first gen AMOLED.

Your gonna find more problems online about the nexus as a larger percentage of people buying them are tech nerds rather than just ordinary people with the galaxy s.

Your gonna find more problems online about the nexus as a larger percentage of people buying them are tech nerds rather than just ordinary people with the galaxy s.

I'd say it's at the very least the same amount - don't forget the Nexus S and 4G were Galaxy S variants.

I'd say it's at the very least the same amount - don't forget the Nexus S and 4G were Galaxy S variants.

That's exactly my point. The ratio of Galaxy S's out there compared to GNs are like 3:1, but the problems being reported are like 3:2 (in "favor" of the GN).

i was very disappointed in the Nexus. Buddy at work got one, he ended up returning it for a Razr and loves it. The Nexus was really not much better than my Charge, pretty damn similar actually. Sure there's tons of third party rom support. But if you aren't into all that, it's not worth much. The RAZR is honestly a nice solid phone.

Back