arp -d *

n00b
Formated with ranish in dos
Boot from XP/2000 CD
Convert Partition to NTFS
Copies files
when it reboots Ignore "press any key to boot from cd"
Comes up with "Missing operating system"

I did another PC the same way tonight and it worked fine, but this one is being a jerk. Used ranish and set to Standard IPL. Still no worky.

ANY IDEAS?

what are the specs of the pc in question? Are you trying to boot from a scsi drive or external controller? If so, chances are you needed to hit the magical f6 key during the first stages of setup to provide the correct driver.

or, check the bios and make sure it's set to boot from the correct hard drive, and also make sure that the partition on that drive is marked active, otherwise the system won't boot from it.

its just a 60GB maxtor 5400rpm IDE drive. Set as boot drive in Ranish.

shouldn't matter but its a Athlon XP 2600+, NForce2, 256 MB.

hrm...well, I have no experience with ranish, but I took a look at the website for it and saw mention of a boot flag. If you set that flag, then that should be the same as making that particular partition active, which the system should then boot from.

have you tried plain old fdisk and see what it says about the partition information?

The Boot flag was set in ranish. Still wouldn't work.

Tried fdisk. Exactly what I expected to see. 1 partition, set to active (for simplicity)... deleted it anyways, made partition over, reformated with system files.

setup said drive was corrupted and couldn't be repaired...

checked it out in ranish, said something about invalid information in MBR.

Doing slow format with ranish now.

the pc isn't overclocked is it? Can you install the os on that very drive in a different pc and it work?

bump for some more help for this guy! I'm running out of ideas.

Must be bad drive after all... :(

Tried another worked right away. :(

Regardless, thanks for the help!

Back