Missing icon in MS security essentials

Bloefield

[H]ard|Gawd
After the recent Avast problem I decided to go to the MS security essentials program recommended here.
Installed it on my i-7 Vista64 box and it seems fine. Installed it on the wifes XP Pro 32 bit and all was okay until a restart and there is no icon in the notification area of the toolbar.
There is a desktop icon and when I click it, it says it's working and pc is protected.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it 3 times now. No tray icon to indicate working, problems or whatever. It's in the startup config set to go on when starting the pc and I've tried changing a bunch of options but no icon.
The wife brought it to my attention that there was no icon after I told her that there would be a green icon and not to worry that Avast blue icons would be gone.
It's disconcerting not to have it. Any ideas?
Thanks, Harold

You installed the XP version correct? There are 3 versions. Vista/7 32bit, Vista/7 64bit and XP.

Yes thanks, I installed the XP version- 32bit only

I used CCleaner and Auslogics after uninstalling Avast[ through control panel-add/remove programs] before installing MSE by the way

Last edited:
Gonna sound silly but do you have notification icons hidden? I don't think MSE can become hidden but just in case.

Also, when using those tools, are you doing 'registry cleans', because some of those things can wipe out settings/change display/icons if they 'clean' something not needed to be cleaned. MSE's right click icon used to get wiped out from registry cleaners.

Speaking of that, if you right click on a folder or file, do you get the MSE context menu scan option?

I don't have the hide icons checked and when right clicking a file it offers the mse scan.

I had this problem before, all I did was reboot and it worked.

I've had this happen on a few computers but in every case the program was in-fact working, but simply not displaying the icon.

Got it working. The status icon in the taskbar is there and stays there after restarting.
There is a multi faceted problem involving MSE and certain apps such as Microsoft Enhanced Search, Office 2002, and some Live essentials programs.
Most don't have the combination of things to "hatch the bug" but I did on that machine.

A Microsoft engineer with the MSE Support Team did respond with an email less than 12 hours after I contacted them and were helpful.

The program seems to have less of a footprint than Avast and is quite unobtrusive.
I like it so far. Thanks to all.

I've benchmarked my system with both MSE on and off and my gaming benchmarks were identical in every way. That's pretty damn unobtrusive to me.

Back