• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Missing I/O shield... what to do..?

lord_farfig

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
1,410
So, I've acquired a 'defective' motherboard from a friends HP... they sent him a replacement, and I got the original one. I've stress tested it on a counter and works fine... anyway.

Here's the predicament. It's an HP board and no I/O shield/bracket/plate. I have tried to call HP to see if they would be able to send me that part, but for some reason it isn't a replaceable part they can send me. I've scoured the Internet looking for websites that hopefully could or would carry something like that... but alas, no luck. The downside since it's an HP, is that the board was custom designed by Asus, and 'standard' I/O shields won't fit.

I am super anal retentive about things like this, and since it would muck up my airflow (probably just a little) I'd want to have one. So here is my question... Does anyone know of *any* websites (that I probably haven't found) that might have this part? Or, what would the difficulty be of fabricating one for myself. Are there any websites that can do this for me, since I don't have much time/tools/ability to make one myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Eric

p.s. The board is an Asus IPIBL-LA but you won't find it on Asus' website. You can, however, find it on HPs... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01077641&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us
There is a picture of the I/O layout which hopefully will help!!!
 
I've noticed most cheaper cases, and some name brand cases that come with them. And they never fit anything...

Have you tried one of those?

Only other option would be to make one. Print that I/O layout on HP's website, trace it onto a piece of aluminum and cut it out.

Tyler
 
I've noticed most cheaper cases, and some name brand cases that come with them. And they never fit anything...

Have you tried one of those?

Only other option would be to make one. Print that I/O layout on HP's website, trace it onto a piece of aluminum and cut it out.

Tyler

Yeah, it's a super peculiar layout... so I'm thinking I might just have to 'make' one. Good idea though!

-Eric
 
Aw, come on........you can't make do with a cardboard i/o shield?? Heck, if the color bothers you, just spray paint it silver when you're done!! :rolleyes:
 
LOL @ Nivram

Hmm I have bought a few open box mobos that dont come w/ them and just not used a IO cover, works for me, but I'm not picky...
 
LOL @ Nivram

Hmm I have bought a few open box mobos that dont come w/ them and just not used a IO cover, works for me, but I'm not picky...

Oh, no... Me = picky about those type of things. I'm the kind of person, that knowing about it, would then be irritated and not want to use the computer... it's a curse... hehe. Though due to the no-existent availability of the shield, I may have to deal with this eventuality. Bummer... :rolleyes:
 
Then definitely go w/ the cardboard, wouldn't want a computer to be just let sit there!!

(...or give it me).
 
For those of you who think I/O shields are useless or don't do anything you are in correct. A properly installed motherboard should have a I/O shield installed as this is what grounds on the I/O connectors to the case.
 
Back
Top