• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

missing HD space

GlimmerMan

Gawd
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
982
I have Tyan S2892 and a 40 GB IDE drive. For some reason, the BIOS reports only 32 GB (33,820 to be exact). I checked all the HD/IDE settings in the BIOS and they seem reasonable (LBA on, etc). Anyone knows why 8 GB is missing?
Thanks.
 
Check jumpers on the drive. Maxtor, Hitachi, and Seagate drives have a jumper setting that limit their capacity to 32GB for compatibility with older BIOSes.
 
DougLite said:
Check jumpers on the drive. Maxtor, Hitachi, and Seagate drives have a jumper setting that limit their capacity to 32GB for compatibility with older BIOSes.

Thanks. That was it. It was an old Samsung drive and I was switching it from master to slave. But I didnt noticed that jumper=ON means slave AND 32GB limit. I took off the jumper and see all the space now.
 
Back
Top