Missing files on clean install?

[em]HEAT

Limp Gawd
I decided to reformat my computer yesterday after installing my FX-57. This is the first time this I've ever had a problem with a reinstall. Everything seems to go fine up to the point when it finalizes the install, at this point I get a dialog box that tells me to loacte missing files on the Windows XP SP2 CD, then there's a drop down that directs me to the "D:/i386" directory on the disk. I press "OK" and nothing happens. It's like it doesn't see the disk in the drive. After about 10 clicks of the "OK" button the OS proceeds to continue the install. After the install is finished and I boot into the OS, the OS looks like '98 and I have very limited options. I have no explorer and a bunch of other stuff is missing as well. I don't understand wat's going on and this is the first time I've ever encountered this problem. It is a legit cd and most of the hardware is new. Can someone please help me out here?

Well the first thing to check out is your RAM (assuming that the CD isn't scratched to hell). If you have multiple sticks, try pulling one, and then doing the install. You could also run memtest.

In most likely order: Bad CD, bad RAM, bad CD drive, bad cable.

Check CD, try different media, test RAM using memtest86, replace drive with known-working drive.

Good luck.

Back