Missing DNS records from server

TeK-FX

Limp Gawd
We are running a 2008 R2 that is our DC, DNS and DHCP server. I went to add a CNAME and all my records are gone. I tested the ftp.companyname.com one I recently created and it resolves correctly but the record itself is not showing up. Is there a way to get my records to show back up?

Turn off the filter? If you were searching for a record in DNS, it filters the results in the same pane.

companyname.com should be external dns (unless you named your windows domain the same thing, which is annoying)

Turn off the filter? If you were searching for a record in DNS, it filters the results in the same pane.
Son of a biscuit, that did it. I had no idea it would keep that filter on indefinitely until you turn it off. Thank you!

companyname.com should be external dns (unless you named your windows domain the same thing, which is annoying)
Yeah, whoever originally setup their domain originally set it up as companyname.com

Yeah, whoever originally setup their domain originally set it up as companyname.com

PijcGEU.gif

Son of a biscuit, that did it. I had no idea it would keep that filter on indefinitely until you turn it off. Thank you!

yourcleverdomainhere.local is better than that. That person shouldn't be setting up domains and domain controllers

If they don't own a separate domain to use I generally just use ad.contoso.TLD

wow, a lot of misinformation here... you're supposed to use a real domain... maybe the top level of your company's website is not ideal, but corp.companyname.com is very appropriate...

.local is NOT recommended or best practice anymore....

also contoso is a terrible idea...

imo, if you can afford to have a domain you can pay the 5 bucks a year for a public domain...

wow, a lot of misinformation here... you're supposed to use a real domain... maybe the top level of your company's website is not ideal, but corp.companyname.com is very appropriate...

.local is NOT recommended or best practice anymore....

also contoso is a terrible idea...

imo, if you can afford to have a domain you can pay the 5 bucks a year for a public domain...

Actually, using a public TLD isn't really all that important, and Microsoft makes a bigger deal of the additional management 'complexity' than actually exists in real life. In reality, NOT using a public TLD only matters a little bit for your Exchange configuration, but that's easy to deal with. And as long as you're willing to maintain separate DNS namespaces for internal records versus external records, Microsoft is still fine with you using a 'fake' internal TLD for your domain. It's option two right here on Microsoft's best practice document, and here explained in a bit more detail.

Actually, using a public TLD isn't really all that important, and Microsoft makes a bigger deal of the additional management 'complexity' than actually exists in real life. In reality, NOT using a public TLD only matters a little bit for your Exchange configuration, but that's easy to deal with. And as long as you're willing to maintain separate DNS namespaces for internal records versus external records, Microsoft is still fine with you using a 'fake' internal TLD for your domain. It's option two right here on Microsoft's best practice document, and here explained in a bit more detail.

I agree that using a TLD you own isn't 'required' but I'd disagree with you where you say Microsoft is still fine with you using a fake TLD... they are fairly clear you should use a tld you own...

From your own link -

"Recommendation
Microsoft strongly suggests to work with subdomains, within a publicly registered TLD domain."

I agree that using a TLD you own isn't 'required' but I'd disagree with you where you say Microsoft is still fine with you using a fake TLD... they are fairly clear you should use a tld you own...

From your own link -

"Recommendation
Microsoft strongly suggests to work with subdomains, within a publicly registered TLD domain."

Oh I know, but their *reasoning* behind that is idiotic - the increased management complexity behind using separate domains. And that increased complexity is incredibly minor.

Best practices are best practices whether you can argue against them or not ;)

Back