Missing DLL From Civ4 (Help Needed)

Badgercat

Weaksauce
Hi,

I just did a fresh format of my system. I re-installed Civilization 4, which I downloaded from direct do drive a while back, and I am getting a System Error Message:

Civilization4.exe - System Error

The program can't start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I have done my homework on google before I posted here but I cannot find a fix. This thread says what most of them do:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=111848

The problem is that I am using a 64 bit OS (WIN7). When I download the DLL and put it in the system32 folder it tells me I can't because of 32bit or something.

I have tried the following with no success:

- downloading dll file to system folder
- downloading dll file to game folder
- deleting all C++ installs (this actually caused problems and I won't do this again)

Any help would be great. I have run this game on Windows XP, Vista, and even on this Windows 7 System. This is the first time I tried to install it and got this message when I try to play

Last edited:
Put it in the same directory as the game executable. Also, the "right way" to get that file is installing the Microsoft Visual C Runtime.

You're putting it into the wrong folder. Should be going into C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

All you'd really have to do is install one of the 32-bit (x86) Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, probably from 2005 or 2008; then again, it should have been installed with the game.

Put it in the same directory as the game executable. Also, the "right way" to get that file is installing the Microsoft Visual C Runtime.

As I stated, putting the dll in the folder with the game exe does not work

You're putting it into the wrong folder. Should be going into C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

All you'd really have to do is install one of the 32-bit (x86) Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, probably from 2005 or 2008; then again, it should have been installed with the game.

Putting it in this folder also does not work.

Should I be installing this? It does not say anything about windows 7...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...34-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

Double check the file name/path. Seems like there's an obvious mistake being made somewhere.

Double check the file name/path. Seems like there's an obvious mistake being made somewhere.

I went to the site and downloaded the package to a folder. I then ran download (vcredist_x64.exe) Which installed the package successfully. I then restarted, but I have the problem still.

Under my installed programs in control panel I have the following:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update kb973924 - x64 9.0.30729.4148

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.21022

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17

It should be noted that the first time I installed Windows 7, about 3 months ago, I installed the civ game after with no problems. It ran and played, without any extra downloading of anything. I am not sure why the issue now

Have you actually checked to make sure that the file is where it's supposed to be? Your post doesn't indicate that you have, so anything is possible at the moment.

Checking the date on the file seems to indicate that it'd be in the 2005 x86 redistributable.

Have you actually checked to make sure that the file is where it's supposed to be? Your post doesn't indicate that you have, so anything is possible at the moment.

Checking the date on the file seems to indicate that it'd be in the 2005 x86 redistributable.

I am sorry. I don't know where these files are located. Where would I check to see if it is actually there.

Given the look of my installed programs I do not have a 2005 x86 package at all. The three I have installed according to my programs and features indicate they are all 2008 x86

%windir%\SysWOW64.

FIXED!

I put the MSVCR71.dll into this folder as first suggested. But when I kept getting the error after that it was not for the same file. It was now telling me I was missing MSVCP71.dll. Because the P and R look so similar I just assumed it was the same. This time I noticed it was a P, and downloaded the second dll file and put it in that folder. Poof it works now. Sorry about that, and thanks for the help.

You need the 2005 redistributable, not the 2008.

Try this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I assume you are right. Now that I got the two files I needed I won't bother with the whole package. If in the future I get any more missing dll files I will get the 2005 pack.

Thanks everyone

FIXED!

I put the MSVCR71.dll into this folder as first suggested. But when I kept getting the error after that it was not for the same file. It was now telling me I was missing MSVCP71.dll. Because the P and R look so similar I just assumed it was the same. This time I noticed it was a P, and downloaded the second dll file and put it in that folder. Poof it works now. Sorry about that, and thanks for the help.

I assume you are right. Now that I got the two files I needed I won't bother with the whole package. If in the future I get any more missing dll files I will get the 2005 pack.

Thanks everyone

Actually, I was wrong too. :D MSVCR71.DLL was from VC2003 (not 2005), which from what I can tell did not come in a redistributable package (well .net framework 1.1 includes it... but I'm not sure that's compatible with Win7 x64). The software that requires it is supposed to install the needed files if it's not found. I don't know why yours didn't this time, especially since you said it worked fine the last time.

Glad you got it up and working though.

You should have just verified the game files through steam. If these two files were missing, it would have redownloaded them.

The two files are automatically downloaded by steam with the rest of the game and put the same folder with the games exe. You must have done something that removed them.

Either way, glad you got it working.

You should have just verified the game files through steam. If these two files were missing, it would have redownloaded them.

The two files are automatically downloaded by steam with the rest of the game and put the same folder with the games exe. You must have done something that removed them.

Either way, glad you got it working.

Oh I was not aware that Civ4 used steam. I don't have or use steam. I downloaded the game from direct2drive.com a while ago. Comes as a zip that has all the likes in it. You just install and use your activation key

Oh I was not aware that Civ4 used steam. I don't have or use steam. I downloaded the game from direct2drive.com a while ago. Comes as a zip that has all the likes in it. You just install and use your activation key

Sorry. I forget that there are other ways to buy games. Disregard my previous remark.

Back