Missing .dll file when starting Max Payne 3 on Steam

Jenova

Limp Gawd
I just recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then used Samsung Migration Software to clone my mechanical drive to my new SSD. Now I get an error message when trying to start the game, which basically says that my d3d11.dll and D3D11.dll file(s) cannot be located in System32 folder. I have d3d11.dll in the System32 folder but not D3D11.dll. Are there two different files? I tried to run sfc /scannow but no problems were detected. If the file was corrupted, would other games that utilize DirectX 11 function properly like Battlefield 4? I also tried reinstalling the game, but I still get the same error message. Could I take ownership of d3d11.dll and remove it from System32 and try running sfc /scannow to see if it will replace the missing file? I have a GTX770 so I can use Direct X 11. All my other games appear to work correctly.

Just tried to force the game to use 10.1 but still get same error message. However, when forcing dx9, I get the dx11 error message but can still launch the game and it plays fine.

Last edited:
Do you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 8.1? If it's 64-bit, you may need to copy d3d11.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or reinstall DirectX again.

Windows' file systems are not case sensitive so it won't matter between d3d11.dll or D3D11.dll. I recommend playing d3d11.dll into the folder where the game executable resides.

Don't take ownership of the file... it won't matter. System file check won't change anything for you either if there aren't any errors.

I have Windows 8.1 64bit. I have d3d11.dll already in SysWOW64. Should I replace it anyway? I copied the d3d11.dll file from System32 to the game's executable folder but still same error message. I ran Antimalware bytes and it found PUP.Optional.installbrain.a. I doubt that had something to do with it, though.

It seems that DirectX 11.2 isn't available as standalone. Can I use Refresh PC option to reinstall DirectX?

Refresh PC should work, but my guess is that your Max Payne 3 installation is shot. If it's through Steam, have you verified its local cache?

I had this problem when I first installed MP3 on Windows 8.1 (I just got the game last week). Every time I would try to launch it through Big Picture mode, this would happen. When I launched it through the desktop Steam client, it installed some DirectX stuff (which is probably what you are missing) and then launched but the game wouldn't play due to missing the Rockstar Social Club. After I got that and installed it manually from Rockstar's support site everything worked perfectly in both the desktop and Big Picture Steam modes.

I reinstalled the game last night. I ran the validation and the error message happens but the validation continues and completes with no errors. I will probably reinstall social club, and if that doesn't work, try Refresh PC option.

Back