missing desktop files : help!!

cjm18

Gawd
admin feel free to move this if this doesnt belong here.

Here is the problem. Moved a harddrive that was my xp boot drive on old computer to a new computer to be my secondary drive. I cant get to any of its files that was on my desktop in the old computer. In partcular there was a folder with word documents. It looks like everything on the desktop except for shortcuts to programs is gone. Is this normal? Is there a solution.?

I tried putting this drive back into the old computer but it wouldnt load windows, it would ask if i wanted to go to windows, or safe mode, or most recent settings that worked. Either way it would freeze when i pressed enter probably b/c my hardware settings had changed so much.

Thanks in advance

are you sure you're running the second hdd as a slave? the shortcuts from your second hdd won't appear on your new computer's desktop since your windows installation is on the first drive. I don't think I undersand you correctly...are you having trouble finding your particular shortcuts that were there on the old computer or having trouble accessing the drive altogether?

did you have a password on the old computer? have you tried taking ownership of the drive?? (if you are using xp pro) just right click the drive, click security option from there and you can take ownership of the drive, just remember to take ownership of all child/subdirectories etc..

my new computer is booting from a sata drive. the stuff i need is on my 2nd drive which is primary. I can access it but i have looked everywhere on the drive and cant find the files.

Back