Missing 325 Gb from new Harddrive

MoFo

Quakecon Guy
Just put in a 500Gb Maxtor, Model # 7H500F0 and loaded Windows XP Pro and the drive show up as only 175 Gb??

Bios see the drive as 500Gb But windows only sees 175Gb???

any Ideas where to start??

thanx

sp2

disk manager says

C: 127.99 GB NTFS
337.77 unallocated <---the missing space

should I just format it and make it G: or add it to C:? if add to C: how would I do that

thanx for the help

I don't think you can just add it to C: without using something special like Partition Magic, but you can format it as a second partition if you want.

I would oppose simply adding the drive and formatting it in windows—XP does a bad job of this. If the drive shipped with a utility CD/disk boot this and then partition and format it this way. It sounds like that drive got partitioned incorrectly in windows. Do a Google search for ultimate boot cd as this will have several partition managers that should solve this issue.

Do one of 3 things:
a) Slipstream Service Pack 2 onto a XP CD, reformat the drive and reinstall.
b) Install Service Pack 2 on your present XP install and see if you can resize the the partition with Partition Magic or some other disk tool.
c) Format the unallocated space as another partition.

Is XP's setup limited to 127GB, or will it go higher if you specify a size rather than doing it "automatically?" I guess it shouldn't be that surprising since it's 6 years old (yes, there have been hotfixes and service packs for the OS, but I don't think the setup program has been updated has it? Does Service Pack 2 rectify this?).

Is XP's setup limited to 127GB, or will it go higher if you specify a size rather than doing it "automatically?" I guess it shouldn't be that surprising since it's 6 years old (yes, there have been hotfixes and service packs for the OS, but I don't think the setup program has been updated has it? Does Service Pack 2 rectify this?).

the latest versions of XP come with SP2 built in so you don't have any issues with large drives when doing an install.

Making your own slipstreamed SP2 install isn't too hard, takes a few steps and a blank CDR.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

It's a good idea in general to split the drive into 2 partitions. Keep the OS on it's own partition and all valuable data on the other. That way if disaster strikes and you're forced to format and reinstall, you can leave the other partition intact while performing a squeaky clean install.

Having everything dumped on C: is just retarded IMO.

It's a good idea in general to split the drive into 2 partitions. Keep the OS on it's own partition and all valuable data on the other. That way if disaster strikes and you're forced to format and reinstall, you can leave the other partition intact while performing a squeaky clean install.

Having everything dumped on C: is just retarded IMO.

I think this is what Im going to do...really dont feel like starting over and my videos will be safe
:)

thanx for the input

did your harddrive come with a installation cd.this is the easiest way to get back the missing space. it should copy the files needed to recognize the hd.not big on partions,that is what extra hd are for.if the hd fails your data is gone any way.usr two hd and cross-copy to protect data.you will still only get about 465gigs.

Back