Åndhrimnir
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Nov 28, 2009
- Messages
- 323
I have an old 2.1 Altec Lansing set which I rarely use. For a while, when I was using them more, I would notice from time to time that they would make a funny clicking/beeping sort of noise. The weird thing was that it didn't sound like random interference - it was very regular, like the sound an old modem makes but more monotone.
Anyways, I was at a friend's house a week ago and we were sitting in front of her computer when the same thing happens to her (logitech something) speakers. Less than two seconds later, she gets a text message. She says all the speaker sets in the house do it when someone nearby gets a text.
I put this to the test. Sent about a dozen texts, from various areas in the house, with her phone on the desk, across the room, out in the kitchen, etc.
Sure enough, it's true. This noise corresponds with the receiving (but not sending) of a text message (and possibly with other wireless transmissions, idk).
Anyways, my question is this: WTF? Why does this occur? I can only assume that it's some sort of interference from the cell tower to something acting as an antenna in the speaker, but does anyone have a more detailed explanation?
Anyways, I was at a friend's house a week ago and we were sitting in front of her computer when the same thing happens to her (logitech something) speakers. Less than two seconds later, she gets a text message. She says all the speaker sets in the house do it when someone nearby gets a text.
I put this to the test. Sent about a dozen texts, from various areas in the house, with her phone on the desk, across the room, out in the kitchen, etc.
Sure enough, it's true. This noise corresponds with the receiving (but not sending) of a text message (and possibly with other wireless transmissions, idk).
Anyways, my question is this: WTF? Why does this occur? I can only assume that it's some sort of interference from the cell tower to something acting as an antenna in the speaker, but does anyone have a more detailed explanation?