ASUS A8N-E socket 989
4GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GT
Razer Baracuda sound card
4 SATA drives
IDE DVD ROM
700Watt psu
WIn7

Recently my PC has been acting strange, with click noises especially during loading a game. And then..... my NIC stopped working... Windows didnt recognize it anymore, and the link LEDs were just solid.
Opened my case, and noticed my nforce ultra chip fan wasnt spinning anymore. I tried another fan on the connector, and it works.

Then, i rebooted and my system would not POST....
Turned off, took out all my memory, and turned on.. memory beep errors.
Put RAM back in, still not POST.
Took out my video card - video card beep errors,
Put video card back in - my system posted.... but then got stuck when checking the rest of my hardware.
I reset CMOS via pulling the battery..., my system posts and boots.
Only 1 LED (green) lights up for my nic. Is my nic bad? motherboard bad? nforce chip problem? Im low on money, so if i need to buy a part.. i need to be certain that part will be the fix.

the click noises sound like a hard drive issue...but when you add in all the other things, a power supply problem was the first thing that popped onto my head.....its just a guess though....

update - added new NIC card, recognized and working.
My PC ran for about another day or 2, still with out the northbridge fan running, and now will not POST again.

I took the heatsink/fan to a local shop to find a replacement, i cant find anyone locally. He also stated that i might have already blown the northbridge chipset...
Is there a way for certain to see if its blown? It physically didnt look blown (no marks, or burns)

Update:
Was able to bring up Windows again, for about a day, unsafely without a chipset fan.
Then i got the chipset heatsink/fan in the mail, installed it, and upon reboot the motherboard no longer recognized my SATA drives!
After checking if my connections were secure, it started to not POST again.
I removed everything from the case.
Motherboard on my desk with power connected on both 4pin and 20pin, CPU, 1GB memory on slot specified for 1 stick, and video card. Booted to BIOS once, and another reboot later.. no more POSTing again.

Ive read that it might be a PSU issue. Mobo is supposed to beep with the 4pin plugged in, and it usually wont if that 4pin connector is not plugged in.
I dont mind getting a voltage reader, but i wouldnt know where to begin with using it or how. :(

Now i only have PSU connected and CPU... still no POST or error beeps.
I need to rule out the motherboard ot PSU, or maybe something else? But i dont know what other troubleshooting to do.

Any help, thanks!

Meh, im thinking about just getting an AM2 mobo since my AMD X2 4600 should fit in it....

Back