Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

So far its been better than expected....UW monitor support, FOV slider, same art design/aesthetic as ME1 but improved, refined combat system, etc. Plot seems convoluted but I haven't really been paying attention. EA/DICE might actually release a game that doesn't overwhelm me with disgust.

So far its been better than expected....UW monitor support, FOV slider, same art design/aesthetic as ME1 but improved, refined combat system, etc. Plot seems convoluted but I haven't really been paying attention. EA/DICE might actually release a game that doesn't overwhelm me with disgust.
No keyboard remapping though, right? I couldn't find it.

Cut scenes seem to dive to 30 fps in fullscreen but not borderless window. I've only partly played through it but it's one of the few games that gets my adrenaline going. Game is very fluid & beautiful to look at but I admittedly suck at the movement controls.

What also impresses me is a single 280x can play fine at 1440 60+ FPS!

Huh? You have to playing on medium or low settings, right? I have a 7970 (basically same card) and have to drop my resolution to around 900p to get constant 60fps on ultra/high.

Which is a good thing, in this game Ultra actually means you need an enthusiast-level card.

Signed up for the beta a while back but did not get an email or anything. Any other way to get into it?

Huh? You have to playing on medium or low settings, right? I have a 7970 (basically same card) and have to drop my resolution to around 900p to get constant 60fps on ultra/high.

Which is a good thing, in this game Ultra actually means you need an enthusiast-level card.

Everything at medium which is the highest the beta settings will go (if I remember right, not at rig). Card running stock 1070 (stock for Asus 280x), my old 920 @ 4 GHz is running +/- 80%+ on all 8 threads, which is basically maxed out with HT on.

I do see a hitch once in a while at 1440, but nothing I can complain about. 1080p runs 75+ fps.

Ask around some message boards, including here. Everybody got 2 keys in their email, so there are lots of people with an extra code to spare.

Thanks. I suppose if anyone has an extra key I'll take it. And I'll post here if I ever get my key and an extra. If I recall I signed up via an EA/Origin email.

Ask around some message boards, including here. Everybody got 2 keys in their email, so there are lots of people with an extra code to spare.

I signed up and received mine via EA and was only given one key.

Everything at medium which is the highest the beta settings will go (if I remember right, not at rig). Card running stock 1070 (stock for Asus 280x), my old 920 @ 4 GHz is running +/- 80%+ on all 8 threads, which is basically maxed out with HT on.

I do see a hitch once in a while at 1440, but nothing I can complain about. 1080p runs 75+ fps.

You can set "Ultra" for the settings. Unless it isn't doing anything?

So wait, all the screenshots from the beta are on Medium graphics settings?

Is it the sixth yet?!?!?!

BTW: Green Man has been running some decent deals on this game. /PSA

I've been playing the 6 hour trial via Origin Access, so far I'm digging it, but the performance is absolutely horrendous.
This is DICE's 3rd Frostbite 3 engine game so I was expecting a lot more in the performance department.
I'm sure will be seeing a day 1 patch and game-ready drivers sometime before Tuesday.

I still haven't gotten my key from Green Man yet. :( Hoping they send it out before it's released tonight.

Loved the first game but the addition of open world and unlocks turned me off immediately. Seems like my fears were confirmed in these reviews and am i the only one that prefers the graphics of the first game? It looks like they butchered the aesthetics with bloom lensflares and fog. The lighting looks way worse, i don't care if the first game was all baked lighting the end result is all that really matters.

Loved the first game but the addition of open world and unlocks turned me off immediately. Seems like my fears were confirmed in these reviews and am i the only one that prefers the graphics of the first game? It looks like they butchered the aesthetics with bloom lensflares and fog. The lighting looks way worse, i don't care if the first game was all baked lighting the end result is all that really matters.

The first game had such a great aesthetic and art design.

I still haven't gotten my key from Green Man yet. :( Hoping they send it out before it's released tonight.
GMG is going to screw over all NA customers. They won't release keys until the EU release date which is 6/9. :mad:

GMG is going to screw over all NA customers. They won't release keys until the EU release date which is 6/9. :mad:

Yeah, I just got a response from their support about that. That's actually ok for me, as I have a project to finish up tonight and tomorrow anyway, so at least I won't put it off to play this :D

very mixed reviews...sounds decent but nothing amazing

It really sounds like it's more of the same, with some slight changes. ("open world" as opposed to linear progression, improved combat, etc.) Most people didn't even like the first one, so it doesn't surprise me that it's getting mixed reviews. To be fair though, all the ones I've read lean toward the positive. (like 7s and 8s of 10 etc.) Basically, I think I'm going to like it.

I'm all about contrived cyberpunk stories. :D (good and unique ones too, but I'll take what I can get since there aren't many people doing this setting anymore)

I really like the game play, it feels faster than the first one and very fluid. It also feels like a bigger game and has side quests. Combat being de-emphasized is a nice change from the majority of games. I'm glad they didn't bow to pressure from the COD-heads and added a lot of combat to a game where it wouldn't make sense.

That's sounding good (faster, bigger, side quests, ,etc.). One way that I think they could have improved the first game is to make the game more open world...it would be nice to be able to kind of go where you want, explore, etc. I remember the first game being pretty linear and essentially a dash from point A to point B. It was fun, but I feel that it probably limited the replay value somewhat. It was a great experience the first time, but how cool would it be if you could jump/scale/parkour wherever you wanted to in the game world (or at least have multiple paths to an objective).

The fact that it's sort of a remake but not quite is really disturbing. Why did they have the change some of the little details that don't affect the plot. Why is Faith's sister Kate now named Cat? That's barely any different and doesn't serve a real purpose. Also, Faith was 24 in Mirror's Edge and now "2 years later" she's being released from "juvie". That's going to bug me. It would have been easier if they'd changed either the bare minimum to get where they're going or much more and been really obvious about it.

As far as the timeline thing...I thought that this was a prequel? So her being 24 before and just getting released from juvie in this one might make sense, but I'm confused about the "2 years later" part. Does this game occur before or after the first one?

I bought it but I tend to agree with you. The open world part is kinda interesting but I think I would have preferred it being more like the first. The upgrades part sucks. Also the first few training missions kinda pissed me off. One of them has you doing takedowns and you have to hit each or it restarts and stops you trying to tell you how to do it everytime. Each takedown has a pop up that trys to tell you what to do as well. It really pissed me off.

Also it says to hit the right stick in for running mode(pretty much giving you a line to follow) but so far it has stayed on with my xbox one copy. I don't know if I'm just not far enough in yet or if it is really that bad.

The changes to the combat don't seem to be a big deal but I'd have to replay the old game to compare as it has been a while. I don't like how they removed the guns though. It was a kinda interesting change of pace in the first.

I don't like how they removed the guns though. It was a kinda interesting change of pace in the first.

I agree on this. I barely ever used them, but every once in a while, I felt like one of the enemies really deserved it, and I'd take their gun and shoot them with it. It wasn't part of my overall play style, but it was nice that you could do it.

I agree on this. I barely ever used them, but every once in a while, I felt like one of the enemies really deserved it, and I'd take their gun and shoot them with it. It wasn't part of my overall play style, but it was nice that you could do it.

I liked the option. I want to be able to play the way I want to play. If I want to clear the path in front of me with a sniper rifle I grabbed off someone then fine. If I want to run past them fine. If I want to take them out then fine. I don't like it making me do it one way.

The gunplay in the first game was complete shit. The guns were terrible to shoot. Nothing about the guns was fun or interesting. It killed the pace of the game. If they can't make them feel right its better not to have them at all.

The gunplay in the first game was complete shit. The guns were terrible to shoot. Nothing about the guns was fun or interesting. It killed the pace of the game. If they can't make them feel right its better not to have them at all.

And, you were completely free not to pick them up. It was no id game, but I found them useful on occasion.

After reading reviews, it's a damn shame you can't disable the games social features.

Hopefully that'll happen in a patch....

Just got my Green Man key, unfortunately I won't have time to try it out tonight. I'll have to give it a whirl on the weekend.

still waiting for a crossfire profile, but when I do play the game, I'll enjoy it for what it is, just like the first. I'll enjoy the awesome DICE ambiance and running. I'll also do my best to ignore the social play and Assasin's Creed/Batman/FarCry style filler quests

So was I the only one who turned off Runner Vision in the first game? I felt that made it WAY better than being spoon-fed the correct path with unrealistic red highlights.

Back