Mirroring drives with Data on it

DaLurker

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 250gb KS drive from Western Digital and I want to create a Mirror raid with it. Now currently I have data on it. Can I create a Raid with the data on it and have the controller mirrow the data already on the drive? or do I have to store it somewhere while I format, raid them and then put the data back on?

It all depends on the controller. Most Intel and Adaptec controllers will expand one drive to a RAID-1, but I can't speak for other stuff.

Agreed above. Really depends on your controller and wether you are using hardware or software RAID. Hardware RAID might be a bit more picky about creating a mirror (and for good reasoning). Software RAID might let you create a mirror, but not initialize. Backup the data just in case and give it a whirl.

Damn I was afraid of that. I don't have another hard drive big enough to store all the info I have on the drive right now. I do have backups but restoring them is a pain :| Shoulda went Raid when i bought the first drive and before I sold my old one :D

Btw I'm using the nForce 4 Raid on DFI SLI-DR Expert in case anybody's tried this before.

Always back up your data, you may be able to migrate to a mirrored setup but there could also be issues and you can lose it all.

Ockie said:
Always back up your data, you may be able to migrate to a mirrored setup but there could also be issues and you can lose it all.

Yeah, I'll definately burn some DVD's. I was just hoping the consensus was I wouldn't have to reload all my data. A Dozen DVD transfers isn't fun :(

Back