Mirrored Hard Drives

C

C0)3|24

Mirrored; one controller writing simulatneously to both disks... where would I enable this function and do I need to install an operating system differntly?

Sounds like RAID 1. You can configure that in the BIOS of your RAID card. You don't need to do anything different when installation an operating system.

I have a SOYO Sy-7VCA2 mother board, it does not apear to have raid on the mother board like I have on my Asus, can i still mirror the hard drives some how?

yes but there are tradeoffs
its called software RAID and it impacts the overall performance because the CPU does it for you, it also seriously complicates data recovery.

to do it you have to employ dyanmic disks
once you convert a basic disk to a dyanamic disk there is no way to convert it back short of a complete reformat and reinstall
so read up on all of these :p

Dynamic Disks
Description of Disk Groups in Windows Disk Management
Dynamic vs. Basic Storage in Windows 2000
Basic and Dynamic Disks @ Windows & .net Magazine
HOW TO: Recover an Accidentally Deleted NTFS or FAT32 Dynamic Volume
Dynamic Disk Hardware Limitations (No firewire, USB, removable or laptop)
HOW TO: Set Up Fault-Tolerant Sets on Dynamic Disks in Windows 2000
Dynamic Disk Numbering and the DmDiag.exe Tool
HOW TO: Regenerate a Dynamic Mirrored Volume in Windows 2000
Restrictions on Extending or Spanning Simple Volumes on Dynamic Disks

Limits of Dynamic Disks in Windows 2000
LDMDump (Freeware utility) @ sysinternals
LDM Database @ Linux-NTFS project
LDM FAQ @ Linux-NTFS project

you might find that investing in a hardware RAID card is a better return on investment, a two channel IDE RAID card is pretty cheap, and the advantage over an on board RAID chip is that you can migrate the card to a new computer
your looking for a card the will do RAID 1 (and thats all of them :p )

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=Go&description=raid,controller

software RAID is really an inferior solution
but one you might want to adopt if the drives are different sizes, speeds or even models

should probably read up on hardware RAID as well
so you can make an informed decision ;)

Good Luck, and feel free to ask more questions

Back