So I was looking at spending $2K at AV123 on a set of B-stock Rocket 5.0s, but I then saw some mirage OMNIs for only $180 shipped, each. Vanns has a combo deal going on, but I'm planning talking to a sales rep that should get me the following deal:
4xOMNI 550s @ $180 each, plus either an Energy or Velodyne sub for free/$60 (some 10in 150W one), as they've got some package deals with small satelites and a center. Thus, I could pick out a good center channel and have a nice setup for under a grand, shipped.
Now, here's my question:
How does this package compare in it's class--I know it's no Rocket 5.0, but how about against the ELT 5.1:
http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37
Now I know the subwoofers with the OMNI package CANNOT even compare to the MWF-15, but has anyone ever auditioned the Omnis before?
What's the quality like on the OMNIs? What do they compare with? Their MSRP seems quite inflated--are they a good performer for their price category ($3-400 for a pair)?
I'm about 80/20 between music and movies, and often host get-togethers ("parties") in my dorm room, so I'd like to imagine that the Omnis would allow for people who are standing to get a nice earful without any of the 20Hz house-shaking bass that would annoy the neighbors. I know that if I get the Omnis, I'll be upgrading whenever I get a real job, but if I get the Omnis, I'll also be able to have enough money in my budget to get a 2560x1600 monitor, which would be a nice step up from a 24. If I get the Rockets, I'll probably always feel bad that I spent $2k on speakers while in college, and I'll still be using a 24incher for a while. If I get the ELT525 5.1s, I'll be spending about $1200 shipped, and I'll be constantly wishing that I should have just went with the Rockets for $750 more/spent $250 less and get a set of Mirages that I know I'd be happy to upgrade from.
4xOMNI 550s @ $180 each, plus either an Energy or Velodyne sub for free/$60 (some 10in 150W one), as they've got some package deals with small satelites and a center. Thus, I could pick out a good center channel and have a nice setup for under a grand, shipped.
Now, here's my question:
How does this package compare in it's class--I know it's no Rocket 5.0, but how about against the ELT 5.1:
http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37
Now I know the subwoofers with the OMNI package CANNOT even compare to the MWF-15, but has anyone ever auditioned the Omnis before?
What's the quality like on the OMNIs? What do they compare with? Their MSRP seems quite inflated--are they a good performer for their price category ($3-400 for a pair)?
I'm about 80/20 between music and movies, and often host get-togethers ("parties") in my dorm room, so I'd like to imagine that the Omnis would allow for people who are standing to get a nice earful without any of the 20Hz house-shaking bass that would annoy the neighbors. I know that if I get the Omnis, I'll be upgrading whenever I get a real job, but if I get the Omnis, I'll also be able to have enough money in my budget to get a 2560x1600 monitor, which would be a nice step up from a 24. If I get the Rockets, I'll probably always feel bad that I spent $2k on speakers while in college, and I'll still be using a 24incher for a while. If I get the ELT525 5.1s, I'll be spending about $1200 shipped, and I'll be constantly wishing that I should have just went with the Rockets for $750 more/spent $250 less and get a set of Mirages that I know I'd be happy to upgrade from.