Minor fan mod

thewooster

Gawd
Ok, basically i need a little help here. I have several fans, and it do believe they are all 2 pins. What i mean to say is, instead of the standar 4 pin male end that you would attach to your power suppply, as in the link below, these fans all have just two pins....and i don't have a converter for each of them. so i was wodering how i would manage to attach a two pin fan to a 4 pin power outlet from my power supply. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999106

Well it should be colour coded... One of the wires is for positive and the other is for negative, I just cut the ends off and perma-wire them, or for a less perminant solution, go buy some connectors (RCA type jacks and plugs work well) from the shack, etc. and solder them on. Just take the positive end of your fan psu connector, attach it to the red wire on your fan, and vice versa with the black.

If this isn't what you're looking for here... well, I dont know if I understand your problem all that well (4 pin male psu plug?)

thewooster said:
Ok, basically i need a little help here. I have several fans, and it do believe they are all 2 pins. What i mean to say is, instead of the standar 4 pin male end that you would attach to your power suppply, as in the link below, these fans all have just two pins....and i don't have a converter for each of them. so i was wodering how i would manage to attach a two pin fan to a 4 pin power outlet from my power supply. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999106

Do you mean it is a molex connector, but with only 2 pins instead of 4? in that case, you don't need any conversion.. they plug right in. The different pins are just different voltages. The pin hooked up to the red line is +5v, yellow is +12v. the two middle pins of course, is ground.

Red(+) black(-) = 5v
Yellow(+) red(-) = 7v
Yellow(+) black(-) = 12v

Depending on what voltage your fans runs on, they really only need 2 pins for power.

Back