Mining in a dorm room

Rahburt-33

Gawd
I'm about ready to get back into mining since I live in the dorm. The pros are obviously free internet and power, but there are also cons when you have a room mate that would understandably get annoyed by having a loud ass computer in the closet heating the room up. Anybody have any tips and or suggestions to keep the volume and temperature low? I considered liquid cooling, but it's probably too expensive to be worth it. Trying to see what my options are here, I'd like to get a good little operation going.

Thanks in advance!

Use 750TI's or a good 270. They both should be pretty silent. The other thing is heat. How many MH/s are you looking to run?

Well I'm not sure if I want to mine bitcoin, I was looking into getting at least 1000 MH/s, but from what I gathered, that won't even bring me a dollar a day. Unless I am looking at something wrong. There are other coins to mine though

Edit: I've been out of the loop on this since early 2011 (when btc's where $15 a coin), so please forgive me if I have a mistake some where

You need exponential money to effectively mine bitcoin these days. What you'll be mining is scrypt based altcoins and either converting to BTC and cashing out, or hodling if you're playing the market as well.

Single fan 750ti's are quiet, dual fan ones like I have (EVGA FTW) less so but not too bad. I wouldn't want to sleep next to it though. Heat I don't know. Pay the roomie off with some of your earnings or hope you have a cold blooded roomie.

Yeah I was looking at sites such as clever mining that alternate to the most profitable coin. Would Litecoins be a good alternative?

Actually I started looking into the USB miners, they might be a good alternative I'd imagine

Do Gridseeds and mine on a multipool. You being in a dorm means GPUs are honestly out of the question, even 750 Ti's.

Forget bitcoin USB miners.

If you have enough money to throw at the problem the noise issue can be solved with ASIC's... however the one thing you also need to think about is the heat generated.

Dorm rooms (at least the kinda i lived in 10 years ago) don't have a way for you to control the air conditioning. If I had a room mate that had a bunch of "computer things" making the room uber hot, you bet your ass I'd be complaining to whoever is in charge at the school.

Mining in a dorm might be a fun little side project as long as it's kept small scale and not intrusive in terms of noise/space/heat.

Also depending on how a dorm is wired up electrically -- you don't want to be the one guy sucking down 80% of the circuit capacity and causing breakers to flip every other day.

no way around it, mining in a dorm is a Dbag thing to do and is just not worth it

Even with free power and cooling it's still probably not worth it. Even with a 7.5MH/s farm I am barely breaking $25 gross profit per day these days. My power usage costs me about $5 per day. If I were to build it today the capital outlay means my expect payoff would be so far in the future I wouldn't even bother. It'd be almost a full year assuming profit per day does not decrease, which at this point is almost guaranteed to be a bad assumption.

Even if profitability magically does not decline, difficulty will increase reducing your profitability anyways.

My advice?

Spend that money on something else.

Even with free power and cooling it's still probably not worth it. Even with a 7.5MH/s farm I am barely breaking $25 gross profit per day these days. My power usage costs me about $5 per day. If I were to build it today the capital outlay means my expect payoff would be so far in the future I wouldn't even bother. It'd be almost a full year assuming profit per day does not decrease, which at this point is almost guaranteed to be a bad assumption.

Even if profitability magically does not decline, difficulty will increase reducing your profitability anyways.

My advice?

Spend that money on something else.

yup -- like a meal plan or books, or condoms or something. You know, crap you will need for college.

Unrelated: I miss the hell out of college, even though I was still pretty nerdy I had some wild ass fun. I miss college women so damn much.

I can just wait till I get my own room... a guy downstairs does it and he pulls in some decent money. He doesn't have a room mate

Lol I guess so. He said he's pulling in about $6 a day (scrypt currencies I believe)
But I imagine it's going to diminish over time unless he puts more hardware into the setup

Lol I guess so. He said he's pulling in about $6 a day (scrypt currencies I believe)
But I imagine it's going to diminish over time unless he puts more hardware into the setup

there is a limit to how much electricity can physically be piped into a dorm room. It's a safe bet they didn't build those circuits to be able to carry 3000W 24/7

Don't know where you are but if you are in the US, our 120V system is kinda sucky, if you happen to be in europe and on 220V you have way more options.

maybe I'm just getting older or I'm out of touch with what it was like to be a college kid (even though my username is totally a blast from the past) but 6 dollars a day isn't that much. If he had to buy the hardware himself the ROI is for sure in the crapper.

Either way -- free power is free power. And while summer coming up will suck for mining, they are godsends in the winter :)

The only way I see this as possible with roommate is water cooling put it all in one case so no one can complain. This way it doesn't look like your creating a server room. Mining with 1 or 2 290s should be pretty quiet with water cooling. Just get a BIG radiator. This will create less work for the fans.

I do it with 2 RX480 radiators. Quiet and works good. It's costly though. The first one gets pretty heatsoaked while the 2nd one is just slightly warm

I game mostly when I get back which is why I built it. I didn't purposely build it to mine though. It's just an added benefit. I'm adding a 3rd card since I got it cheap. I also get very cheap power so I'll end up paying for the cards fairly soon.

I would just buy as many coins as you can instead of mining if i were you. mining profits are in the shiter right now.

Back