• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mining, added a new card and having issues

StupidDream

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
64
OK so I have a pair of GTX 1060 6gb cards and an rx580 4gb everything has been running just fine with the pair of cards. I am running a low end i3 And the entire system polls about 320 W at the wall. That is on a power supply that is about 85% efficient. It is a power spec 550 W from Micro Center.

Last night I added an additional RX 580. I can either get both of the 1060s and a single RX 580 running at the same time or both of the RX 580s and a single 1060. If I try to run all four at the same time I get an error with the DAG file is not loading.

My guess is that I am running out of power perhaps on initial start up. But even at maximum Power consumption the additional RX 580 should not pull past 550 W by any far stretch of the imagination. In fact I would estimate that with all the optimizations that it should really only bring the overall power draw at the wall up to about 440 or 460 W. Still well within the limit of the power supplies capabilities.

I am thinking about going to Micro Center later tonight returning their 550 W power supply and exchanging it for a corsair refurbished 750 W power supply bronze rated. It’s only five dollars more. I did not know that they had those or I probably would have gotten that from the very start


Any thoughts? Any insight? Any wisdom?
 
Have you read the mobo manual to see if it could handle 3 cards?

I had a celeron mining and after two cards the performance went to hell. I would think an i3 would be ok.

Might be worth googling your mobo model + mining + 3 cards in some combination. Sometimes there’s a bios update or settings that helps.

The weird part is the DAG file. Not sure that would be power related? That is a lot on one PSU. At that loading you may have to look at the actual wattage on each rail. Sometimes power is some combination of rails and you’re probably not loading it evenly.
 
Is that 320W you recorded while the system was mining? Are you undervolting the cards any?

My guess would be you running into the power wall. Reference TDP of a GTX 1060 is 120W and TBP of a RX 580 is 185W. (120 * 2) + (185 * 2) = 610W for the video cards alone without undervolting.
 
Is that 320W you recorded while the system was mining? Are you undervolting the cards any?

My guess would be you running into the power wall. Reference TDP of a GTX 1060 is 120W and TBP of a RX 580 is 185W. (120 * 2) + (185 * 2) = 610W for the video cards alone without undervolting.


Yes under volting. Power measured at the wall
 
Last edited:
Back
Top