Minimum Specs for Router / HTTP Server / etc

tgrimley

Limp Gawd
Currently my XP1900+ w/ 1.5GB RAM folding box is fulfilling these roles under Ubuntu Server 6.10

http server
dhcp server
dns cache
samba server
mpd server + jinzora server (connected to stereo)
mysql server
openvpn / ssh server
running boinc 24/7 @ 80% cpu
running torrentflux (although I want to move this to something else to lower the cpu usage)
firewall / routing

I was thinking about picking up a dual 500Mhz P3 w/ 1gb or something similar (running linux) to take the load off the folding machine.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a router box and which roles it should take from the folding box? Currently there are 4 clients (2 xp, 1 os x, 1 linux) not including the folding box on my internal network connected by a 16 port linksys switch.

For the real IT people, what should I look for to manage my home network? Any advice would be nice :)

I think you should be fine with what you have listed, depending on the level of usage you have.

I guess I should give you an example of what I have running on my server, and it's roles.

It is an old Dell Poweredge 2400 with a pair of P3 450's, and 768MB of RAM with a couple 10k RPM 36GB and 9GB HDD's.

It is running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, and it is a Domain Controller, DNS Server, FTP Server (IIS), Web Server (IIS), Mail Server (hMailServer), File Server, Streaming Media Server (Vibe Streamer), Torrent DL'er (uTorrent), VPN Server (OpenVPN; Windows Clients), and of course it runs A/V, and a couple other network monitoring programs.

All in all, I have had no problem at all with the performance of the machine except when I get complex PHP scripts going.

Back