• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Minimalist setup...

The Saint

Gawd
Joined
Mar 18, 2003
Messages
1,000
....I'm moving in an apartment soon and would like to transition from a 5.1 setup to a Studio Monitor one for a streamlined look and some great listening experience....

:) What would be the best bang for the buck setup, inlcuding an amp or an analog/digital enhancer ...

Thanks
 
Thanks much guys....

well, money is really no object here, as long as I can justify the cause.

All I would like to have is to listen to my mp3s (ripped as looseless format) with the great quality sound! And the smaller the speaker, the better :)
 
Honestly, if money is no matter, I would go for the b-stock Ref 1's and SP3 tube amp from av123.com. They have their holiday sale going on, take 20% off one b-stock item, 25% off for two or more b-stock items. http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=stock&brand=14

If you want to save some money, the new ref 0.5's are out at $299 a pair(no discount over that as they are nto b-stock). http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=80.1

Then add the Squeezebox for your MP3's.

I highly recommend Apple lossless over MP3's. You will hear the faults of the MP3 format with this set up.

As for the Ref 1/SP3 combo, this review you tell you what type of high end audio you will be looking at: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/onix/onix.html
 
....I like that system a lot! :)

I will call a few shops here in Miami and see if they have it in stock.... I think I will picking it up soon ...


Will keep you posted...
 
av123.com sells exclusively via the internet, no retailers.

I personally own some of their Rocket line. They quality in sound and build is amazing, especially when you factor in the price.

I was demoing numerous brands, including B&W, Paradigm, Polks(higher end LSi line), Phase Tech to name a few. I prefered my Rocket 550's over any of the speakers I demoed. Most cost twice what the Rockets cost. I didn't believe the hype and figured if I did not like them, I'd take the hit in shipping and return them.

The b-stock items do not have the same return policy. B-stock items could have minor flaws, or just have been used in a photo shoot so can not be sold as new.
 
The Saint said:
Thanks much guys....

well, money is really no object here, as long as I can justify the cause.

All I would like to have is to listen to my mp3s (ripped as looseless format) with the great quality sound! And the smaller the speaker, the better :)
MP3's are not lossless.
 
mdameron said:
Still sounds amazing! Lossless or not, I've never heard a difference :p
You would if you tried.

I can clearly hear the difference between 320kbps MP3s (with EAC and LAME) vs a ~1mbps FLAC file rip of the same CD (with EAC and FLAC).
 
dderidex said:
You would if you tried.

I can clearly hear the difference between 320kbps MP3s (with EAC and LAME) vs a ~1mbps FLAC file rip of the same CD (with EAC and FLAC).

Drive space comes in to play at that high of quality, at least IMHO... Anyway you can never get better than the source cd, right?

[/thread jack]
 
dderidex said:
You would if you tried.

I can clearly hear the difference between 320kbps MP3s (with EAC and LAME) vs a ~1mbps FLAC file rip of the same CD (with EAC and FLAC).
I'd like to see if you can ABX your lossless with --insane mpc
 
Chastity said:
I'd like to see if you can ABX your lossless with --insane mpc
It's not hard on orchestral tracks.

The MP3 format has a TERRIBLE time with cymbals and cellos.
 
Back
Top