miniG5ized

I swear someone ealse is copying you over at bit-tech.............hahaha just playing. great work thus far!

Son1990 said:
I swear someone ealse is copying you over at bit-tech.............hahaha just playing. great work thus far!
Yea I saw that too. :D He even copied the name. Bastard. I still think mine looks better. :D

Thanx guys.

Got one of my fan adapters done. Thats the good news. Bad news I have one more to do. ::sigh::

Pic of the bottom part beveled. This is a pic before cutting out the middle and tapping the holes.
IMG_1426.jpg

Then I moved on to the top part of the adapter. Since the pieces where angled I had to flatten the top so the sides of the duct had something to glue on to.

Shot of it before.
IMG_1428.jpg

During the flattening process
IMG_1431.jpg

Then after. All flat and ready to have some sides glued on to it.
IMG_1432.jpg

Moved on to the aluminum that will be on the inside. Here it is in place and ready to be glued. I decided to use epoxy for this since I wanted the duct to be really clean and screwless. I was going to drill a screw hole in the middle of each piece to hold the aluminum (thats what the dot is on each piece) but I didnt like the way it would of looked.
IMG_1434.jpg

After that was done here is the two pieces being glued together.
IMG_1442.jpg

Finally all done.
IMG_1443.jpg

Man i love this pic. :D
IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

Well here is the second one finished.
IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

Here are pics of it in place. I held the rad in mid air so you get an idea of where it is going to go.
IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

Excellent cutomatization of all the materials in use, is the airflow going to be from the bottom exiting out on top? or the intake will be from top and bottom exiting on the back of the case?

Yup its going from bottom to top. Working with thermal dynamics of heat should help out temps. I dont want to try to force rising heat out the bottom.

I must say, you have a gift for metal fabbing. I'll be watching this mod eagerly.

Today I started the duct part that goes above the rad. One thing I figured out was that I`m going to have the rad near the top because I need to leave room for the video card and its cables. So the top part is only going to be 3 cm tall.

I decided to mitter the corners for the duct instead of butting the sides together. It was a little bit more work but in the end I think it`ll look better. Here are the four pieces mittered and the part that will bolt to the rad. Still need to cutout the middle part and drill the screw holes.
IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

Wow, just wow, I think this is even better than the Doom 3 mod
Awesome work man, can't wait to see it finished

ratbird said:
heyy, sidekick full of plexi dust, coool

dont get it on the x5 :p

Dont worry I have a rubber on my X5 to keep it clean. :D I modified an apple one to fit over my X5.

UPDATE:
After letting the glue dry here it is without the tape.
IMG_1485.jpg

Added the aluminum to the inside and getting ready to epoxy in place.
IMG_1487.jpg

After the epoxy is dry. Well semi-dry. Was kind of in a hurry and didnt have time to watch epoxy dry. :D
IMG_1489.jpg

Being glued to the part that attaches to the rad.
IMG_1491.jpg

Then that part being glued to the fan adapter part.
IMG_1493.jpg

Ready to go Joe.
IMG_1495.jpg

Attached to the fan
IMG_1498.jpg

Then with the rad in place.
IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

It sure is coming along just fine... I saw the pic on how you smooth the side of the plexy, but, what do you use to cut it so precisly?

Pretty darn slick! I must say, I've seen alot of scroll saws over the years, but never one with a disc sander stuck to the side of it, pretty cool!

Got the bottom of the rad duct done.
Here is the duct after being glued together.
IMG_1514.jpg

Aluminum being epoxied on.
IMG_1518.jpg

Finally all joined together.
IMG_1521.jpg

Here it is in place but I did run into a problem.
IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

The bottom of the fan hits the hdd holder on the bottom and the duct doesnt line up with the rad because of this. I guess I didnt make the arc on the bottom large enough to let the fan fit with the acrylic on top. So I just need to go back and sand off some of the arc to make it taller.
IMG_1528.jpg

Thanx xrdotimcr!!!
Here is a small update. Didn`t have much time to work.
I got the bottom fan sorted out. I cut the arc on the bottom of the hdd holder to let the fan slide in more. Now the bolt holes line up with the rad.
IMG_1538.jpg

Here is a pic with the mobo in place. You can see why I had to have the rad up high. If it was lower it would get in the way of the connectors, the ide and 24 pin ones. I also put it up higher to leave room for the video card and its power cables.
IMG_1541.jpg

Also I put a plate on the front where the original cd drive was. On the plexi that goes on the front I`m going to add the fan controller. I`m going to drill holes to let the cables run through that plate and to the fan controller.
IMG_1547.jpg

I also got the aluminum for the floor cutout. It looks very blue now. :D I love the way it looks. I took pics with the flash so you can see all the detail and how it really looks.
IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

That's so cool and well thoughout. Very, very nice Fanatik. Dunno if it's been asked yet, but which way are the fans blowing?

/subscribed

:D

The bottom one is intake and the top is exhaust. Thought that would be best to work with the rising heat from the rad.

Yeh, sounds like the best way for the fans. I wonder what it would look like with an LED fan? Looks awesome as it is tho.

LED fans? Why? This looks much better - mooving lights aren´t good kombination with this beautiful ... hm ... icy? ... design

Yup I agree too. An led fan would take away. Aluminum fans look better. It matches the finish of the case and all the aluminum inside the case. I will be using leds throughout the case but in a very minimilistic way. I'm going to add leds inside the duct to light up the acrylic parts that bolt up to the fans and rad. I will also use leds to light up the logo on the mobo tray. Pretty much that's it unless I get another idea. The majority of the light will come from that blacklight I'm using.

I said I wonder what it would look like, not that it would necesserely look better (hard to do atm ;) :cool: ). I was wondering what sort of effect the light would have with the duct. Anyway, it looks awesome with the aluminium atm. Keep it up :)

Here is what I got done this weekend. I got the faceplate done.

Here is the fan controller mounted on the front. I mounted it vertical to be different. :D
IMG_1558.jpg

Power button and all the other buttons mounted to the bottom of the faceplate.
IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

Sleeved the wires. I used silver braiding and added tube over it.
IMG_1576.jpg

Then I had to figure out how to run the wires to the inside of the case. So I drilled 1/4" holes to run the tubing through the metal plates. I added a plate on the cd drive opening and were the original power buttons use to be.

Here is one drilled.
IMG_1571.jpg

Done and in place. I`m going to change some things. The top two wire for the fan controller bunch up so I`m going to change the swing to the metal plate.Also that metal on the fan controller sticks out a lot. So I`m going to do something to it but I`m not sure what.
IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

youre actually gonna leave the wires visible like that?? you anti-'mac-perfection' nazi! :p

o well.. think different. why not? :D

That square metal plate for the fan controller face is really not going well with me. I`m thinking of changing it to a rectangle but with rounded corners and maybe extend its shape to cover more of the top of the the plexi. Almost in a a "T" shape. I`ll post some designs of it later on this week.

Back