miniDP > DVI-D adapter: 2560x1600 @60HZ

Eftegarie

n00b
Is it theoretically possible to achieve 60HZ signal at a resolition of 2560x1600 from a miniDisplayPort > DVI-D adapter?

I ask this because I have tried THREE adapters one 8$, one 15$ and one 32$ and all three promised to go into resolutions of up to 4K @30HZ, and the latter promised explicitely to support 2560x1600 @60HZ, but when I connect these adapters on my eizo sx3031w or cg 303w (both 2560x1600 native) both adapters give the same signal error on both displays on their input 1 (which is a dual link input) and on the second inpuit (which is a single link) I get a 1920x1200 signal. Why it doesnt work?

The monitors support the native resolution 2560x1600 ONLY on their dual link input1.

An 11 years old dvi nvidia card drives both monitors at 2560x1600 without a fuss and the mini pc with minidisplayport drives my other acer 4K @60hz so both the monitors and computer work normally.

HOW can I convert Mini DisplayPort >> DVI-D 2560x1600 @60HZ ?

Clearly the 1920x1200 @60HZ is easily achieved. The difficult step is 2560x1600 @60Hz convertion, apparently!

OO2Or.png

What you need is an active dual link converter with a separate USB connection to power the conversion. They are expensive, but I don't think there's any middle ground with DVI converters

Awesome reply! Thanks now we're getting somewhere! The second one is 10 fold more expensive.

1. The first (10$) clearly states that it will work at 2560x1600 @60HZ. So i am curious what advantage the second (110$) brings compared to the first adapter?
2. I need miniDisplayPort, these are DisplayPort! will that exist too quaranteed @60HZ? I dont another adapter just for the adapter :) also I still need to connect the DVI cable to the adapter

I use miniDP-DP adapters all the time, just get good ones. The only difference is the size, Apple needed smaller connectors when making their laptops so that's why miniDP was developed.

The super-expensive adapter is based on the first dual-DVI adapters, which required USB power. They have mostly been phased out as advanced low-power dual-DVI chips were developed. I got mine 6 years ago when they first came out, they haven't dropped in price at all if anything they seem to be getting more expensive. I just listed it because I can personally attest that they work - I don't have any of the newer ones because I have been switching to DP monitors to avoid the issue entirely.

The super-expensive adapter is based on the first dual-DVI adapters, which required USB power. They have mostly been phased out as advanced low-power dual-DVI chips were developed.

Didn't know this was a thing. Do you get the full dual link bandwidth with one of these non-USB powered adapters, or just enough for 1440p and 1600p 60hz?

Didn't know this was a thing. Do you get the full dual link bandwidth with one of these non-USB powered adapters, or just enough for 1440p and 1600p 60hz?

No idea, never owned any of the newer ones to test and the only monitor I have bigger than 1600p is 4K and has no DVI ports anyway.

After some research i found this adapter, which EXPLICITELY states that 1. it will work at 2560x1600 and 2. at 60HZ!
https://www.startech.com/AV/Display...Dual-Link-Active-Adapter-USB-Powered~MDP2DVID

As a whipping 150$, are there any new cheap 10-50$ adapters with a MINI displayport > DVI-D that you think will do the same?
If yess you same me 100$ (donations will be made once I get my *!@#$%^&*()_+ setup working again at anything higher than 1920x1200 :)
So annoying having a 2560x1600 and being forced to scale down to 1920x1200...

Get a used one - I bought one used for $15 about 5 years ago, flashed it to the latest firmware, still works today (not that I'm using it).

More and more of them are showing up on the used market as people switch to DP/HDMI monitors.

Good idea! I wend ahead and searched eBay allover mate, but helas no luck... if you now later or ever device to let go of your miniDP > DVI-D then message me! ;-)
You are right though. DVI connections become quickly ancient nowadays with everybody switching to (mini)DP monitors...

Where do you live?

And a silly question: what video card are you plugging the adapters into?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for your findings gentlemen!

rtangwai
- This is the "graphics card" im pluggin into: a Gigabyte BRIX PRO 4770R quadcore i7 mini pc
http://www.gigabyte.co.nl/Mini-PcBarebone/GB-BXi7-4770R-rev-10#sp
Tested and well capable of driving a 4K @ 60HZ from miniDP > DP cable.
- The Netherlands

ToastyX
-Interesting these dual link converters all have a separate power USB ( no problem I have a very reliable 7 ports TP link usb port that has its own power supply!) can be firmware upgraded? wow that sets them apart from the cheaper single link adapters indeed.
- According to rtangawi this adapter (10$) should work and he can attest that it does!
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Di...sr=8-1&keywords=display+port+to+dual+link+dvi
In the specifications it clearly says: "2560x1600p @60Hz" this not in accordance with what you stated! Please tell us how this can be possible.
- Thanks for the cheap 18$ eBay find! this will work indeed and looks identical to an old Club3D adapter model! However at 32$ shipping cost and added tax of 21% and administration costs of 18 euros (no matter the total amount) for all products exceeding total 20,00 entering the Netherlands makes it a very expensive second hand product for me. This one is really interesting for US citizens though price cannot be beaten.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually I said that I could *NOT* attest that the $10 adapter worked - that's why I listed the expensive one too as I could attest *THAT* one worked.

I use miniDP-DP adapters all the time, just get good ones. The only difference is the size, Apple needed smaller connectors when making their laptops so that's why miniDP was developed.

The super-expensive adapter is based on the first dual-DVI adapters, which required USB power. They have mostly been phased out as advanced low-power dual-DVI chips were developed. I got mine 6 years ago when they first came out, they haven't dropped in price at all if anything they seem to be getting more expensive. I just listed it because I can personally attest that they work - I don't have any of the newer ones because I have been switching to DP monitors to avoid the issue entirely.

I'm in Canada, so I guess picking up that DP-DVI-DL adapter is out of the question :)

Awesome thanks for clarifying that! 100% clear!
Never been to Canada but I imagine its beautiful ;) Nevertheless, thanks for the offer!
I think there is enough information and insights in this forum topic so its up me now to make up my mind and make a decision: either buy a 100$ adapter or use this as a droplet in the bucket to farewell the BRIX PRO miniPC and setup to a barebone pc with DVI-D or other system as I am determined to keep using my eizo 30" no matter what :pompous:

Canada actually looks pretty Dutch at the moment - we're covered in tulips :)

Actually we blame the Netherlands for that - Holland gifted Canada with 100,000 tulips after WWII and the country has been growing them since. The descendants of the original batch still grow in our capital city of Ottawa on the Parliament grounds.

I wanted to know where you were in case you could borrow my spare adapter and test it - that would end the speculation on what would and would not work.

I'd ship it to you but overseas postage is expensive, it would be cheaper for you to buy one than borrow mine and send it back afterwards.

Beautiful story with an inspiring historical significance! I did not know that! :)

Very generous of you! Thanks. Indeed it will be much more expensive than buying one here.
I think my options are clear now: either buy a (new/secondhand) usb powered active dual link adapter OR build another computer from spare parts to power my ancient but still very nice DVI monitor.

I will report back here once I find any more information relevant in the miniDP > DVI-D 2560x1600 @ 60 HZ topic!

In case you were wondering the Netherlands gave Canada the tulips as a thank-you - the Dutch royal family took refuge in Canada during the Nazi occupation and were treated very well here.

The queen of the Netherlands was actually born in an Ottawa hospital during the war - to make sure she had Dutch citizenship the hospital wing was given embassy status so it qualified as Dutch territory.

If you still have trouble finding a reasonably-priced adapter I might sell you my spare with a DP-to-miniDP adapter (I have 2 of them, both on a shelf right now because all my monitors over 1080p have DP and/or HDMI 2.0). You'll be able to avoid taxes as I'll mark it as a gift or warranty return or something like that. We'd have to check the shipping though, the Atlantic is a bit large to skip stones across...

Last edited:
Aaaah so that is why the tulips were given as a gift... beautiful piece of history!
Thanks for the very nice story and guesture! Awesome.. Are all Canadians so generous and kind?? :) Amongst other (international) internetters your character stand out quite remarkably :)
I understand the shipping costs will be heavy and you must also earn something in all honesty. Name a grand total and I will think about it.
Investing in ancient hardware is counter intuitive which is why it makes me think and be sure that there are really no other alternatives...
I have no hurry so that is good. Meanwhile Im running 1920x1200 on my 30" monitor. I feel like a grandpa lol. huge text and each pixel is identifiable LOL
Never hurry especially if you are a libra like me: must overthink all reasons and then once a descicion is made it is so solid there is no argument that can change it!
Yes DISPLAY port is the fuure and DVI is quickly dying and has started to phase out in new computers as well as monitors.
Cheers mate and laters

I really can't blame you for trying to hold onto a 30" monitor, it's easy to go bigger but hard to go smaller.

I upgraded to a 43" 4K from 3x 30" because there was no way I was losing vertical height with the ultrawides :)

Canadians are renown for being friendly, generous, and helpful - and to the Dutch brave as they watched the Canadian army liberate Holland by fighting the Nazis in hand-to-hand combat. The only major exception is when dealing with our own indigenous population, that Canada definitely needs to work on.

I'll box up the adapter and weigh it to get an idea how much it will cost to ship it to the Netherlands.

Back