Minicom for windows XP?

pwrusr

2[H]4U
I almost feel that this should go in software, however I know the guys in this subforum will likely be a bit more helpful.

I've tried hyperterminal but the function keys (F1-12) don't work in the remote computer. The built in dialer in hyperterminal seems to be good enough but overall just has issues with connecting to remote *nix stations.

Putty works, however I have roughly 300 modems that I need to connect to when the network goes down. I'd hate to have to type in "atdt" then then number every time I have to dial out. That seems to be my best bet at the moment, however I'd really like to find a minicom like program that has a built in dialer.

The OS I'm using is windows XP. Not my choice, but it's what I must use at work.
It also has to be free. And will be installed on ~6 WinXP computers.

Sadly I don't think cygwin is a option for me. Last time I asked to have it installed I got a good talk about security issues with it on a windows box. I guess I can ask once more.

Any other options?

Machine is a old dell 2.8GHz P4 with only 1GB ram... I don't think that a VM would really be possible without serious performance issues :(

That may be plenty considering you'd probably just be doing command-line linux on it. You'd want to do host-only networking and SSH into it though, rather than attempting to use a VM console. Toss the VM 192M of RAM and see how it does.

if cygwin + minicom isn't an option, how is a VM any less of a security concern?. dunno man, SSH ito a remote host with minicom installed? lol.

just use putty I guess.

That may be plenty considering you'd probably just be doing command-line linux on it. You'd want to do host-only networking and SSH into it though, rather than attempting to use a VM console. Toss the VM 192M of RAM and see how it does.
I'll have to see if virtual box is a option for me since I'm not the admin of the box...
if cygwin + minicom isn't an option, how is a VM any less of a security concern?. dunno man, SSH ito a remote host with minicom installed? lol.

just use putty I guess.
I never said that a vm was a security issue. I simply was expressing my doubts about my ooold workstation being able to run a vm.

TeraTerm looks pretty cool! kinda like putty but with even more options.

I may have other uses for this however it doesn't look like it will work for me as needed in the first post. I'll still have to test it since putty doesn't display "atdt" or the number dialed unless I enable local echo forced on which "looks" like I double typed a command. Otherwise putty will do the trick in a pinch.

I can also ssh to a remote Linux box that has a bank of modems. However, having a physical modem at my desk helps immensely when trying to troubleshoot remote modem problems. Being able to hear a busy tone, fax connected to the wrong line, a voice answering the phone and so on is such a time saver :cool:

where are you from? i didn't know modems were still in such widespread use.

I do retail support that requires modems for a backup when dsl goes down. Many retail stores still use modems for backup or even primary connection for authorizing customer's purchases.

Kermit won't install for me :(

I've tried to install just by double clicking on it and also by right click -> run as administrator.
Every time I try I get this error at the end of the install process "VSetupT failure! Installation will abort.".

The IT department already made a comment that they won't likely be buying anymore licenses of secureCRT. So unfortunately that one it out.

I think that for the not so often times I need a modem putty should do the trick. I may also be able to check out cygwin...

Really doesn't look like there's much else out there :(

Back