• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mini-ITX ZFS-Box

hotzen

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
349
Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my existing LGA775 Box to a mini-ITX system using the Intel S1200KP Mainboard [1] and a Xeon-CPU.
However I wonder if i get IPMI/KVM features out-of-the-box with a Xeon that does not contain an integrated GPU? (I just got to know that the 12*5 Xeons have an integrated GPU..., so VNC only with integrated GPU?)

Side-Questions: I tend towards the Xeon 1220L for its very sweet 20W TDP [2] but on the other hand the 1230 [3] is even cheaper, much more powerful and will not hit its 85W TDP at all...
2*4GB ECC should suffice for a 6*2TB RaidZ2. Or would you really put 2*8GB into that böxchen?

Any advice appreciated.

[1] http://ark.intel.com/products/60637/Intel-Server-Board-S1200KP
[2] http://ark.intel.com/products/53401
[3] http://ark.intel.com/products/52271
 
Last edited:
That mainboard does not even support Intel AMT, is IPMI-like VNC borked without AMT?
 
AMT is separate from IPMI (AMT is consumer/workstation while IPMI is server based). Neither is supported on this system. Unless you need out of band management, I would opt for Xeon/ECC over Remote Management.
 
I am also looking for a similar setup. A small case, with one LSI 2008 card, that is connected to a 24disk case Norco 4224 chassis. :)

So the massive storage is outside and turned off most of the time. 24 disks suck lot of power and if they are turned off, they can not crash. In the small PC chassis I will have one SSD as boot disk, and one 4TB disk as a temporary cache storage disk. When I am done working with data, I just turn on the huge disk chassis and copy it there as a backup.

But, ECC RAM is really important so I need that. And probably an Intel Xeon cpu as well.
 
AMT with KVM over IP available on either Q57/Q67 or C206 chipsets.
among those, only C206 supports Xeon with ECC RAM, but sadly - hard to find on Mini ITX Form.
surprisingly, I just did a Google search, and found this board : S1200KP.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/server-motherboards/server-board-s1200kp.html
i'm short on time so go ahead and read about it to make sure it does what you want.

oh and don't forget to check for compatible CPU for KVM :
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...processor-e3-family/XeonE3Specifications.html

tell us how it went, I might consider doing the same, I was looking for Mini ITX board with c206 for a year now.
 
Back
Top