• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

mini-ITX WHS build critique

altano

n00b
Joined
Aug 30, 2011
Messages
59
Hello everyone!

Here's my build questionnaire: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037694490&postcount=1

I'm building a Windows Home Server which will rip, encode, and serve HD video, backup my machines, and serve as my always-on, toy machine.

Highlights of my current build that I think are true:
  • Smallest case w/ 4+ 3.5" HDs AND Optical bay
  • Very fast, very low power CPU
  • KVM-over-IP: CPU/mobo support Intel vPro/AMT technology for remote, out-of-band VNC
  • Server-grade motherboard, CPU, and ECC memory

And finally, the following is the build. Please critique it! Just keep in mind I'm not interested in reducing the cost unless there are no disadvantages to doing so.

Case
Lian-Li PC-Q08 (info, newegg)

PSU
SilverStone 500W, 80 PLUS BRONZE, 140mm, 100% modular (newegg)
+ shorter cables (newegg)

Motherboard
Portwell WADE-8011 (info)

CPU
Xeon E3-1260L 2.4GHz ,45W, 4-core/8-thread, low-power (info, PCSuperStore)

CPU Cooler
Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3 (newegg)

Memory
4GB Kingston 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered (newegg)

Hard Drives
Storage: 4 x 2TB Samsung HD204UI in RAID-5 (newegg)
System Drive: 1 x 320GB WD3200BEVT 2.5" (newegg)

Blu-Ray
LITE-ON iHOS104-08 (newegg)

Case Fan
Top fan: Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm (newegg)
Front fan: Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm (newegg)

Cables
1 x Silverstone Four-in-one SATA Power Connectors (newegg)
2 x Left Angle to Straight SATA II Cable, 12" - 2 Pack (amazon)
2 x OKGEAR 30cm SATA III, straight to right angle (newegg)
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For case, check out the Lian Li PC-Q25. It is a more HDD friendly version of the Q08 in that it shares the same external size/shape, but has five hot swap HDD bays, plus two more non-hot swap bays for seven total drives. It is only missing a bay for an optical drive, but if you are going to remote control the box, you probably only need it for the initial OS install.

The PSU is totally overkill. Your entire proposed rig will probably barely be able to draw 100W.

That 140mm Noctua fan may not mount in the Lian Li cases because the mounting holes are 120mm.

That CPU looks like a monster! Might be overkill, but I find myself unable to disapprove.

Regarding the SSD, a cheap/small boot SSD may not be a terrible idea. It would give the system a more appliance-like feel. There have been hot deals for 30/32GB SSDs under $50. Heck, I think I picked up one for $40 after rebate. There have also been $60 SSD deals for 64GB.
 
Awesome, thanks for taking a look, Zap.

For case, check out the Lian Li PC-Q25. ...

That CPU looks like a monster! Might be overkill, but I find myself unable to disapprove.
I'll be ripping DVDs/Blu-Rays, so the optical drive is required and the CPU isn't that overkill. It's overkill otherwise, yes :)

The PSU is totally overkill. Your entire proposed rig will probably barely be able to draw 100W.

The wattage estimator I tried said somewhere in the 2-300W range, but more importantly, but this is the shortest PSU I could find. This case is super tight when you have a full ATX PSU and still use the drive cage, and it looks like the 10-20mm difference in length between this PSU and others is enormously helpful. See this fellow's build log: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=32022556#post32022556

That 140mm Noctua fan may not mount in the Lian Li cases because the mounting holes are 120mm.
The fan has 120mm mounting adapters. I've successfully mounted this same fan in another Lian-Li case that has the same setup: room for a 140mm, a stock 140mm, but 120mm mounting holes. I'm hoping there won't be any issues.

Regarding the SSD, a cheap/small boot SSD may not be a terrible idea. It would give the system a more appliance-like feel. There have been hot deals for 30/32GB SSDs under $50. Heck, I think I picked up one for $40 after rebate. There have also been $60 SSD deals for 64GB.
WHS has a 160GB minimum requirement for the system drive, otherwise yeah, I wouldn't mind grabbing a cheap SSD for the system drive. A 160GB+ SSD, though, will be anything but cheap :)

Again, thanks for taking a look. Keep those comments coming!
 
Is there a suggestion that I buy that NIC? If so, why? My mobo will come with 2 onboard, gigabit Intel NICs.
 
Back
Top