mini-itx motherboard w/ ECC and 6 SATA?

grumbles

n00b
Hello all. I'm trying to put together a ZFS-based NAS, and already have a Fractal Node 304 case. However, I'm having an impossible time trying to find a mini-itx motherboard that supports ECC ram and has 6 sata. I plan to put in 6 WD Red drives (2 or 3 TB...unsure yet), setup as RAID-Z2. (I just recently learned the hard way RAID is not a backup, losing the entire RAID when 2 disks failed on my old RAID 5 setup :( )

I don't think I care about Intel vs AMD, although it sounds like Intel is better for low-power. I did find one site that mentioned an upcoming Asrock mini-itx board with ECC and 6 SATA, but when I search for that model #, nothing turns up at all.

I suppose the 6 SATA is not critical, as I could put in an add-on board (I think?). But finding a Mini-ITX with ECC support is proving to be just as difficult.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, Asus said they'll be having some designation targeted at more business? friendly solutions. One of the features was ECC support. Furthermore I think the designation would span all sizes of boards, so maybe they'll have a ITX version as well. As for 6 sata, it seems that'll be pretty common with the new haswell boards.

I think you may have to get a board with ecc memory and get a expansion card for the extra sata connectors or not worry about ecc and you'll have a few boards to pick from with 6 sata connectors.

Ok, so it's Asus' "Workstation" boards that may support ECC, currently there are two, and only one seems to state it supports it. Sadly neither are ITX.

Back