mini itx in a cardboard box

biohazard_nz

Limp Gawd
I recently got my hands on some mini itx stuff. My plan was to make a small seedbox, file server and teamspeak server. One of the requirements was for it to be very quiet.

I couldn't be bothered getting a proper case, so I used a corsair PSU cardboard box.

Motherboard: Intel D201GLY2 (bought this off a mate, he put a bigger heatsink on the CPU too, great :D)
Ram : 1gb crappy stuff
HDD: Western Digital WD3200BEVT (320gb 2.5" laptop hdd, very quiet)
PSU: SeaSonic SS-250SFD (scored this off trademe for $30 brand new)
Fan: Yate Loon D12SL-12 @ 5V

Testing the stuff and installing windows (different PSU in this pic)

Here is a pic of everything inside the case. All the components are held in place with blu-tac, except the fan which is screwed to the box.

More pics

This is the hard drive

An outside view with the box closed up

Here is the back of the box

Here is the 'front'. I call it the front becuse there is easy access to USB and ethernet ports. I also blu-tacked a power button from and old case here.

Here it is finished and running

Some tests:

Maximum load temps

Super Pi

Maybe one day I will get a proper case!

really creative!!!

maybe a stupid thought but I noticed you did not have an ventilation holes??

It does run a bit too hot for my liking. The bottom of the box gets warm sitting on the carpet. I have put some blocks under it so there is a bit of ventilation.

The Celeron is a very hot running chip. Ideally I would have an Atom based mini-itx board, but I got this one for cheap.

It does run a bit too hot for my liking. The bottom of the box gets warm sitting on the carpet. I have put some blocks under it so there is a bit of ventilation.

The Celeron is a very hot running chip. Ideally I would have an Atom based mini-itx board, but I got this one for cheap.

swap out your PSU for a pico-psu

That will help solve your heat issues.

I'm going to build a WHS server and been debating how I want to do it,
I have a Shuttle K45, but the powersupply is loud. I thought about swapping the PSU, but saw that I could get a 150W psu for it which is 50W more and it would be completely silent. So now I can max out my hard drives in the thing.

swap out your PSU for a pico-psu

That will help solve your heat issues.
Good idea, and I could also fit it in a smaller box, but the problem is that I live in New Zealand, and getting a pico PSU shipped over here would be more expensive than a Corsair HX520 :(

I also tried flipping the fan around, so it was an intake fan instead of exhust:

Old Idle temps
SYSTIN: 33
CPUINT: 41
AUXINT: 26
Core: 52
HDD: 32

Old Load temps
SYSTIN: 37
CPUINT: 69
AUXINT: 26
Core: 82
HDD: 32

New Idle temps
SYSTIN: 38
CPUINT: 38
AUXINT: 23
Core: 49
HDD: 26

New Load temps
SYSTIN: 46
CPUINT: 69
AUXINT: 17
Core: 81
HDD: 27

In the end I decided to keep it in the original configuration, because the case temperature increased to 38 degrees idle, and there would be a dust problem.

i have a small server running on a d201gly2 as well, and while the cpu is a bit of a hothead compared to the atom, the sis chipset on the d201 is very low power. Notice how the d201gly2 has no fans what so ever. I also have a intel d945gclf2 board (dual core atom mini itx), and while the atom doesnt have a very large sink (about as large as the chipset sink on the d201gly2), the chipset (intel 945gc) sucks down so much juice that it actually needs a fan on its massive sink!

imho the d201gly2 is a very solid board, i have a small web/samba linux server running on it, the only downside to the sis chipset is crappy linux video driver support, but running a console only server that doesnt matter.. the d945gclf2 however has some trouble with its network driver, which for a server is a much larger problem :)

For real low power mini-itx systems, its up to intel to finally release a good chipset for the atom, instead of its years old crappy 945 power-hog.

As for case/psu, try looking for a procase noah case, it comes with an external powerbrick and a 80 watt built in DC/DC psu, which easily powers my d201gly2 with a fan (comes with case) and 3,5" hdd, its also a bit smaller then your corsair box :)

In the end I decided to keep it in the original configuration, because the case temperature increased to 38 degrees idle, and there would be a dust problem.

Your components were cooler in the intake configuration, besides, your power supply exhausts air, if the case fan does too, and you have no intake holes then no air will move in your case...

Back