Mini-ITX Build

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Looking to build the smallest Mini-ITX I can while still being able to work on it (multitask).

Need advice on CPU suggestions.

I mainly run the following at once:

- PIdgin (For chat)
- FireFox
- Chromium
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- MS Outlook

Maybe 10% of the time I'll have photoshop open too.

I was thinking the highest frequency dual-core with hyper-threading...

What CPU would you guys suggest?
Cheaper better too :) I don't mind a generation or two old either (SB or IB).

Onboard video would probably be best too.

(On my MacBook Air I believe it's only a dual core 1.8ghz and it does everything fine, but yes, I know win7 is a different beast).

While a dual core I3 with HT would suit your needs now, I would suggest finding a good deal on a used i5, from the IB family..They will give you 4 real cores, and much better iGPU performance.Photoshop is supposed to be OpenCL aware (if not now in the near future) and that will put the superior iGPU to work in your favor...

The other option I think you should strongly consider is an AMD A6800K...4 Cores, and a beast onboard GPU, for $110-120..Again, the 4 cores will only help going forward, as will that beast of a gpu..

I was thinking of doing something similar. Are you going msata for storage?

Chime, is your question directed at me? If so, the answer is no. I've already purchased a Samsung 840 Pro that I got for a great price. Had I not got such a great deal on the 840, I probably would have gone msata. The 840 will only be used for the OS and for apps. Data storage will be on my media server.

I have a bunch of extra SSD, so I don't plan on it either.

Thanks for the info guys, will check out options.

Chime, is your question directed at me? If so, the answer is no. I've already purchased a Samsung 840 Pro that I got for a great price. Had I not got such a great deal on the 840, I probably would have gone msata. The 840 will only be used for the OS and for apps. Data storage will be on my media server.

Yeah, I was wondering because I didnt know if you had looked into cooler clearance with a 2.5" drive installed in this case. I was looking to go msata to avoid the problem.

Yeah, I was wondering because I didnt know if you had looked into cooler clearance with a 2.5" drive installed in this case. I was looking to go msata to avoid the problem.

Hopefully with this HSF: http://www.mini-box.com/Low-Profile-LGA1155-Intel-Core-i3-i5-i7-CPU-Cooler?sc=8&category=87
there won't be a clearance problem with a standard size SSD.

Here is a pic: http://resources.mini-box.com/online/ENC-M350/moreimages/M350-Universal-Mini-ITX-enclosure-b4.jpg
showing a 2.5" drive mounted on the drive bracket. I know, there isn't a mainboard and processor installed in that pic...

Back