Mini ITX build with some questions..

Lu(ky

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

Planning on a using this case but I have a couple of question regarding my setup.. Now the the reason why I went with my setup below is because of the new GTX 670 small short card.. I told myself I was never going to watercool any more GPUs but I can't resist this little card.. Now I hope it doesn't take eK forever to make it.. I was thinking of my case them to be Black and Blue yes it has been done to death I know but I have some other things I like to do to be different which you will see when I start a thread for my build.. My question below..

Thanks

1. I have room for 1 x 140mm radiator, but I thought I had room for another 140 for top but not enough room. So will one 140mm be enough to cool a 3570K and GTX 670? If not I can go to next plan below..

2. After checking the space I can run 2 x Black Ice GTX M184 - Dual 92mm radiators with no problem but I may have to do some modding for it, but I should have a dual loop setup. (CPU gets own pump & rad along with the GTX 670 as well. The fans I have are the Gentle Typhoons 2600rpm best for 92mm radiators..

3. Debating on painted the case? I know most of you like the original Lian Li brush look I do as well, but I was thinking of powder coating the case.. Case theme Blue & Black..

Here are some pictures of the Lian Li PC-Q18B which I might send back to newegg for a PC-Q08B..

Also here is a quick picture of my Lian Li PC-Q18B case with a eK 140mm in it with Asus Z77 Mini ITX, and eVGA GTX 670 plenty of room so far.. I will add some pictures later of it with the Black Ice GTX M184 - Dual 92mm radiators later.. Let know which way should I go..

Here is what I have so far for my build..

Lian Li PC-Q18B
Asus Z77 Mini ITX 1155
Intel 3570K (may change to a 3770k)
2 x Crucial M4 128GB for a raid 0
eVGA GTX 670 SC (waiting on a water block)
SeaSonic X650 Gold (planning on sleeving myself)
Tons of water cooling stuff so much I could open up my own store :D

20120519_014332.jpg

20120519_014448.jpg

Hi Lu(ky,

Just imported myself the same case and MoBo.
And decided on a GTX670 and definitely one AIO rad for the CPU.

Now - your Q 1 and 2.
One 120 or 140 rad is not enough! Maybe on idle or mild work it'll be "reasonable".

So now its up to either two 120/140 rads or as you show - a dual.

OR - forget the GPU cooling!
I just re-read your post and see you also got a GTX670 - so please go read some more specs and benchmarks. That lil brother kicks serious behind! AND it stays cool doing it.
Mid 70's is what i reckon...max! Aiming for high 60's tho!

So one option is to forgo the GPU cooler (see my V600FX build log - i'm doing it in there with DWoods bracket and dual rads - so believe me i thought about it on the Q18 too...bought brackets just in case..(punny)
But your case seems to have a LOT of space compared to my sketchup plans?
I will go check after i posted this.....

But after i did my regular Sketchup mockup and really tried all sorts of mods i think there is only place for one rad (120mm Kuhler or Corsair - thick H70 or H80 types)

I'll even post a pic of my highly classified secret layout plans - for my Q18 build that's about to start. lol Seriously tho - its close to the heart when designing something - and one wants to try it out [first] - but i believe in "share with all".
Not that you may like the PSU relocation - but as it is i am wondering what small PSU you are going to fit? My whole design hinged on the PSU eating up more than your pic shows.

How much space do you have for a PSU - could you measure it please? Then i will add 4cm for the cables and connectors.

So if you are adamant to do a AIO CPU + GPU - and If you can get the twin small thick rads in - go for it.
I'd definitely like the two thick 120mm ones like your first picture. Because...
If you do then also do consider adding a fan like i intend to do - on the bottom - that will help a lot as ambient temps wont climb.

Let me go check my sketch again....
ps - just adding: Is there space for your GTX? Past the rads? The thick 120 maybe..or i hope - but the dual looks like a problem?
If you can measure that too when you do the PSU it'll be great to know.

...back....

And..lol..i forgot my mod was to do one thing - make place for a window! And the ugly PSU is in the way.
My Lian Li V354 has the same PSU layout..on the floor...but it looks horrible, and to tweak a GPU or try another means hauling out the PSU - not nice.

Maybe these help - but if you have no window and do the dual 120 thick rads it should work. Just check the video card clears the rads.

Here are two sketchup pics of my planned build.
For the one below i omitted the DVD cage...and the rad tubes on the bottom means the top and bottom header tanks eat up space.
By turning it 90 degrees makes it easier with more space top n bottom.PSU may complain tho - then the tubes are "behind" or in front..pending video card.
7353016572_13b2ea3a80_z.jpg

7353016326_52d878fe9a_z.jpg

i just snipped pics and added numbers in case one wants to ID a component.

Hope you get some ideas from the info and good luck finding a solution you like.
Post your progress please, and if you can - those measurements too.

Last edited:
Now am I the only one that's going to say yes, the 140mm will cool your CPU and GFX? If you compare a 140mm rad surface-area to that of a 240mm rad, it comes in at 68%. Now, if I cast a glance over to my Balckbird setup, and I see what I am running there on a single 240, well, I would like to go on record and say yes, without a doubt :) It will certainly not give you the 3-4 deltas that a lot of folks seems to be going for, but it will be a good, reliable rig, with good performance to boot.

By mere coincidence, I am doing a similar setup for the Wife, with Asrock Z77E-ITX board, Gigabyte Windforce GTX670, and 3570K.

I am redoing my Macho-mini project, the NAS hardware will be going into my new Fractal Array R2, and the PC-Q08 will temporarily house the Wife's new system, that is until the new Bitfenix Prodigy, on back-order, arrives at my door.

Anyway, I will be reusing the Coolgate 140mm Rad, and I am pretty confident, even with a pretty heavy overclock on the 3570K, the system will be happy and comfortable, with significant reduced load-temps as when compared to stock air cooling.

Let me see how far I get on the weekend with the setup, and I will feedback to you.

ps: I will be using the ApogeeDrive2 Swiftech recently released, I have 2 sitting on my desk, casting their concerned eyes in my direction - if only they knew what was awaiting them...

Well I sent that case back to newegg because it was just too pricey at $174.00 with tax when you can get a Lian Li PC-Q08B for $100.00 and I have more room with this case wider as well.
I have changed my video card from a eVGA GTX 670 SC to a eVGA GTX 690 Signature and after I get the card I will decide to water cool it or not..
But if I do water cool the case I would do this 1 x 140mm intake for 3770K only and a 280 radiator for the top for the GTX 690. Just wondering if this Swiftech 280 rad will be able to handle the GTX 690?? I would have some major major modding with the case by making it taller and longer which is not a problem for me.

20120520_045031-1.jpg

The 280mm rad should be fine with your card - please read my previous comment to get an idea what the modern rads are capable of.

The 280mm rad should be fine with your card - please read my previous comment to get an idea what the modern rads are capable of.

I missed your sketchup above tell now... Looks like you have the PSU in front area, I was thinking this myself.. I decided to send back my Lian Li PC-Q08B and buy a Lian Li PC-V354B case instead. This case gives me more room without trying to mod the Q08B so much.
Now I decided I will put my PSU at the bottom of the case below the mobo tray like pictured above because this will give me with the V354B for a 280 radiator above for GTX 690 and a 240 radiator for the front 3770K.
Now more waiting tell I get the GTX690 anV354B case to see how much more room do I have.. Now I plan on using the 5 1/2 bay for a fan controller because I won't have room for a DVD drive here because of the 2 x 140mm fans being used there and 2 x 120mm fans and 4 x temp sensors to keep an eye on the water cooling stuff.. I still have to make up my mind on what color to go with on the powder coating.. Green metallic or Blue metallic? See pictures below... As of now I think I may go with the GREEN so what do you think... You have to love VOODOO PC's they were 10 years ahead of anyone at the time at modding back then...

Will be updating next week when I get my stuff from newegg.. Also thanks for your input I will try to Google sketchup and use it for my build..

500_omen_11-1.jpg

500_omen_12-1.jpg

1024_omen_04-1.jpg

Ok - here is my reply until i lost it (expired ticket?) - so let me summarize re the 690 and temps quick....

Like Mr Bean said: ....."more than adequate" is my feeling too - as an overall summary. But see further on....its all relative.
As for GPU water / AIO - see the the Dwood GTX680 forum post on overclock.net

In fact my few hours of BF3 today in my new game rig with the GTX680 and 3770K was stellar.
Alas the 120mm rad for the GPU aint fitted YET - but the temps on the GPU were never higher than low to mid 60C. So your 6990 may be 5C higher i guess. Pending ambient rise.

Tomorrow i'll max the BF3 out totally and see the results - but i will still fit my H70/120mm rad as i have it built in - all ready and waiting...but i suspect these new 6-series cards are ok if the case has enough cool air.
So then adding a 120mm rad is fine. And anything larger super.....

(i agree the with MrBean that the modern items are efficient - but i have to tag on the mantra "sufficient cool airflow thru the case". In a stuffy closed box not even the best rad can perform)
More airflow - smaller rads needed - thats the definition of efficient. More for less.

But i will reserve my judgement on the 3770K until tested for myself in my own case. So far feedback looks bleak - they are hot animals if one overclocks.

------------------------------------------

Ok - i see you are getting V354 now?
Gee - i loved that case until i saw the darn PSU - it is sooooo dang awkward. And in your face - one cannot remove a video or audio card - no window possible...you get the idea.

Made it into a Z68 and GTX570 rig and so our MD got a new home PC.....

So then i got into the Z77's - and thus temps and the smaller Q18 idea,
For gaming i like the V600's - just need a smidgen more width for the rear cable management.
As for the Q18 - and here i guess i can include the V354 - relocating the PSU seems the best - albeit hardest work - option.
I am just completing the stuff on my GameRig1 before i do my ITX in the Q18 - then i'll see the options. And thank gawd for the coming electric nibbler....

Will let you know by post or look for a Q18 build log...lol

hi all,

I see someone changed the front fan for PC-Q18B and I like to know how you changed it.
Is it mandatory to to get out the hdd cage before changing fan? If yes, how can I get out the hdd cage... there seems to be no bolts.

Or is there any other clue to change the front fan of PC-Q18B?

Cheers
GertPfert

Back