Mini ITX Build Advice

Hi All,

I'm looking to build a mini-itx computer for general all-round usage at home. But it also needs to be able to handle my work requirements, which is to run multiple virtual machines (vbox) running both windows and linux O/S. The computer will output to two 23" monitors. No gaming or media center requirements.

These are the components I'm looking at:

Lian Li PC-Q11
Asus P8H77-I
Intel i7 2600K
G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Silverstone ST45SF 450W SFX
Crucial M4 SSD 64GB
WD 1TB Sata HDD x2
Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW

I had a look at the Asus webpage for the P8H77-I and for the memory support list, it does not list 1600MHz at all. It starts from 1866 and upwards. The cpu support list isn't even updated yet. So just want to confirm that the above combo will work.

I can go Z68 with the Zotac but its much more expensive at the moment. I'm in Australia. Plus I would like to have usb 3.0 headers on the mobo, hence the P8H77-I.

O/S will be Fedora16 64-bit on the SSD while Data will be on the Sata HDD on Raid 1. I'm recycling the HDD's from my WD My Book Studio.

Any advice on the above rig would be much appreciated. Thanks.

As far as I can tell this motherboard has not been released yet. I don't think any mITX H77 motherboards are available at all. Maybe someone here has some information on when they are supposed to start showing up...

If you need to build now and want H77 you could go up to one of the mATX motherboards that are available now, and put all that stuff in a TJ08-E case.

A few other thoughts:

* If you can wait a bit the Ivy Bridge processors are coming soon and will probably be a little faster.

* Consider putting in a larger SSD and running all your commonly used applications from there.

* The standard question of whether you really need the extra threads the 2600K gives you over the 2500K, but with your virtual machine set up it might actually be worth it.

* You're getting the K processor, so you should be thinking of overclocking at least somewhat. It's almost a crime against computerumanity to not OC these Sand Bridge K chips. If you're going to air cool make sure there is clearance for the cooler. If you're going to water cool, plan for the radiator. The 2500K on air in my TJ08-E runs full time at 4.5GHz up from 3.3, and is 100% stable. It was very simple to get it there and the cores run in the 60C range under heavy load.

* Some might say to skip the K processor if you're not going to OC, but to me it doesn't seem worth giving up the future flexibility to save $20.

Good luck!

Lucky for us here in Oz its already in stock at one of our more popular retailers:

Asus P8H77-I

Don't really need more speed with the Ivy Bridge processors unless the price is similar to the 2600K when they come out. I only need the extra threads for running vm's.

Same for the SSD, My Fedora 16 install with all the apps I usually need is less than 15 GB. So 60GB is plenty for the / drive. All my data will be on the Raid 1 Sata drives.

I'm getting the K so that I've the option to get into the OC scene in the near future. And like you said, its only A$20-30 more for the K. I've already checked out the Thermalright AXP-140 RT which some folks here have managed to fit into the Lian Li PC-Q11. But that's further down the road. Need to get my rig up and running first for work purposes.

But I'm very new to DIY builds so would like to get some confirmation that the RAM plays well with the Asus P8H77-I. I'm sure the cpu will be OK as Asus says it supports 2nd and 3rd Gen.

Did you check Asus's website to see if the ram you wanted is on their list? If it is not on there then you'd be the first to be trying it since no one here I know yet has the mobo. My guess is that it will work but that is just a guess.

I downloaded the pdf from the Asus website and they only listed RAM from DDR3 1866 Mhz upwards to 2400. Nothing about the 1600's.

I guess it should work. Just being cautious given its my first build. Can't imagine an aussie being one of the first with this mobo. We are so far from everyone else.

Well, most people are not aware it is out and most people who want a 77 chipset itx mobo want the P8Z77-I Deluxe version seems like from the talk around here.

Would love to get the P8Z77-I but its about A$100 more than the H77. www.skycomp.com.au is retailing for A$235 but stock isn't in yet.

I probably don't need the extra bells and whistles in the Z77. And I want to keep the build under A$1000. Its currently around A$930 and the more spare change I get the better.

I'd wait a week or so for the Ivy Bridge processors to be released (which is what I'm doing) - the i7-3770 is faster at turbo and consumes less power than the i7-2600K for less money, and the i7-3770K surpasses both speeds for less money (and, almost certainly, less power consumption).

Even if you stick with the 2600K, the price is set to drop as soon as the Ivy Bridge processors are released.

Seems like April 29 is the date everyone is waiting for. So might as well wait for it and then decide what to get.

At this stage, looks like I'll just go with the i7-3770k and a H77 mobo. Since I'm not upgrading (its gonna be brand new build), might as well go with the latest.

Supposedly they moved up the IB release date to April 23rd.

Back