Mini Displayport to HDMI 2.0 active adapter performance

Wiz33

Gawd
I'm looking for a thin and light laptop with GTX-1060 (under 5lbs). Seems the choices are fairly limited unless you want to spend about $2000. The only two option at the $1500 range is the ASUS GL502VM and the MSI GS43VR Phantom Pro.

The only problem I see is that neither one have HDMI 2.0. which I would need if I want to connect to my 4K TV. The only option I can see is using a Active Mini DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter. Anyone have experience with those? Is there any additional lag induced by the adapter and if so, how much more?

My MSI GS73VR has HDMI 2.0 (a lot sites incorrectly list it as HDMI 1.4a) and it pushes 4k@60hz no problem-- I'd imagine the GS43VR is the same.

EDIT: On second thought, I better verify that it was indeed 60hz and not 30hz. It seemed smooth enough when I watched an episode of Westworld and did general office work but I wasn't gaming. I'll check when I get home to make sure and let you know.

Well, I got a GS43VR and a Club3D adapter enroute. Should know by Tuesday evening.

Don't know if it's comparable but I used an active dual link dvi to hdmi (or was it display port?) adapter and I had constant problems out of it.

I should know tonight. Laptop and the adapter came in last yesterday but was busy doing updates and installing a new Dolby Atmos receiver for the TV so did not get around to it.

Back