Minecraft to Officially Launch 11/11/11

I love it when people release FUD as fact when they have never even tried it for themselves, and then cover their asses by some inane comment like "or that's what I heard anyway." How is it coded poorly? What exactly is it about it that is poor and makes it not work on a Netbook? $100 says you couldn't have answered that question in detail when you made those comments.

Anyway, I've played Minecraft on every system I could get access to and it works great, and without issue.

Well it punked my kernal, pwnd my hard drive, used up all my download, ordered a ton of stuff on eBay on my credit card, shot my dog, ran over my cat and deleted my WoW account!

So there! Nuh!!
;)

What's so great about minecraft, anyway?
I don't understand the appeal.
It just seems like a world creation tool with some interesting interaction and item creation, and VERY VERY bad graphics...like something you'd see on an Apple II or C64...But why is this interesting for a regular gamer?

Well depends, what do you call a "regular" gamer? that's like calling someone normal, no one gets to define what those words mean.

If graphics are that important to someone, then no it's not for them. There are people that truly want a sandbox experience, this game offers that better then any other game I've seen. This game has more option, and freedom then any other game on the market... and from the sales, you can see there are still people out there that don't care what a game looks like.

Honestly from what the industry has really shown ME lately... the better the graphics get... the crappier that games have become...

I'll be playing TESV, if anyone is gonna play minecraft no reason to wait till then, there won't be any major changes and the game is cheaper right now anyway.

The only thing for minecraft I'll be doing is I'll have to update the [H] community server so everyone else will be able to play.

I love it when people release FUD as fact when they have never even tried it for themselves, and then cover their asses by some inane comment like "or that's what I heard anyway." How is it coded poorly? What exactly is it about it that is poor and makes it not work on a Netbook? $100 says you couldn't have answered that question in detail when you made those comments.

Eh, Java is universally regarded as a poor platform for development. The array of awful fragmented libraries and the (frankly) poor compiler (that lets even shitty code through without issue) allow for some poor fucking Java development. Now, granted, I've never seen MC's source code, so YMMV... But I HAVE done a lot of java programming (I practically speak it) and I do know that most, if not all, java apps are poorly coded...

If you had bought it in Alpha you got it for $10
if you buy it in beta you get it for $15
if you wait for final release you'll get it for $20

If this is true and I'm reading it correctly I paid $20 for the beta and then I'll have to pay another $15 for the final game?

If I have to pay a single cent for this game when it finally gets "released" theres no doubt in my mind I'm pirating it. Yep... no f'in way im paying for a game twice.

To those of you saying "Oh your computer is crap, that's why its crashing"

Phenom II 1090t, Radeon 6970, 8gigs ram, 7 hard drives, all in a HAF 932 with 11 Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1900RPM 110CFM fans

I fold for Guru3D for 12 hours a night no problem, everytime I run minecraft and after 2-4 hours I get the system stop being unresponsive or system reboots without a BSoD (And I have computer configured to issue a error report if such a crash happens) I get no error report at all

System idle I am pulling 250 watts from the wall, playing minecraft I only draw 310 watts from the wall, folding I pull 420 watts from the wall, gaming with say Bad Company 2 or L4D2 with MorphAA and full settings in both games I pull 410 watts from the wall, and everytime I get a crash with minecraft I run OCCT Linpack for 4 hours with zero problems, OCCT Linpack draws 430 watts from the wall

My power is completely clean, I am using a $290 power bar which is made for 50-100 million dollar server and printer equipment, which I have connected to a APC 750 watts UPS back up power supply, and with my volt meter I measure near zero ripple because of the Panamax power bar 15 amp 4 outlet

The only thing I can conclude from all this is that Minecraft is poorly written, and that the crash is happening at the hardware layer, WHICH IS ONE LAYER HIGHER THEN THE KERNAL

You people thinking that the kernal in Win7 does -EVERYTHING- is false, the hardware layer is still in place for graphics, but they -DID- remove it for sound

That said, a crash that happens at the HAL layer does not get reported to the Win7 Kernal, the system will either lock up entirely, or reboot

The only thing I know that has direct access to the HAL layer is the videocard, everything else passes through the kernal, And I've had this problem happen with a GTX 260, a Radeon 5850, and a Radeon 6970

I play around 50-60 hours of games a week with zero problems, all stressing my videocard to full 100% use according to AIDA64, my system is on for -WEEKS- at a time unless I need to restart it for a windows update, its only this program that kills it

And its not just me, their forums are full of people having the same instant reboot/shutdown problems without BSoD's

And one last thing, Minecraft even full screen only stresses my videocard to 22% use

If this is true and I'm reading it correctly I paid $20 for the beta and then I'll have to pay another $15 for the final game?

If I have to pay a single cent for this game when it finally gets "released" theres no doubt in my mind I'm pirating it. Yep... no f'in way im paying for a game twice.

I think the prices were euro... not actual $... that might be why you paid 20... and why would you have to buy the game again when it goes final? you already bought it... you plan on getting a second copy?

I think the prices were euro... not actual $... that might be why you paid 20... and why would you have to buy the game again when it goes final? you already bought it... you plan on getting a second copy?

Thats what I mean.... if the comment I quoted was true it was saying that when it goes final that I'd have to buy it for $15. I read this as the beta wont be patched to final, youll have to buy the final.

This is just how I read 3 short incomplete sentences. I hope I interpreted it wrong, or the source is wrong.

Having never played the game and no desire to. People are buying a beta? Now that's some funny shit, lol.

Sorry I just had to laugh, lol.

With the advent of live patching, everyone is essentially buying betas, even on consoles now. That's what is laughable ;)

Would like to point out that I help run a mincraft server and it normally runs between 15-25 people. Imo, a game server with that many people does not need 2gb of RAM to run. And yet...it does...

Thats what I mean.... if the comment I quoted was true it was saying that when it goes final that I'd have to buy it for $15. I read this as the beta wont be patched to final, youll have to buy the final.

This is just how I read 3 short incomplete sentences. I hope I interpreted it wrong, or the source is wrong.

Can you link to where it says it won't be patched? I've heard others mention that but have yet to see it myself, when those of us signed up and bought in during Alpha, we were all told we'll get all updates including final at no extra cost.

If minecraft server require 2GB of ram... then why do so many MC hosts not even have 1Gb ram advertised on their options usually? You don't need that much ram if you have enough HDD IO. I've ran 3 different servers each with different amounts of resources, the one that ran the best had an SSD but less ram then the others.

So.. how big is your epenis exactly? From what I'm reading, it's MASSIVE!

Seriously, does it matter how many power your system? Or does it matter how many fancy expensive fans you have in your case? Does ANY of the information you posted prove that the problem is happening at the kernel level?

Also, if you've going to go on and on about how the problem is happening at the kernel level, you should learn to spell it. ;)

What's so great about minecraft, anyway?
I don't understand the appeal.
It just seems like a world creation tool with some interesting interaction and item creation, and VERY VERY bad graphics...like something you'd see on an Apple II or C64...But why is this interesting for a regular gamer?

I know, right? That's how I felt about the game when I was first seeing it. Now that I played it though I just wished I bought it during the alpha so that I could have saved a little more money! It just somehow taps into the same part of your brain as LEGOs or something. On the surface it's boring (you just connect a bunch of plastic blocks together to make stuff? Lame!) but when your actually playing it it's just... fun.

Seriously, does it matter how many power your system? Or does it matter how many fancy expensive fans you have in your case? Does ANY of the information you posted prove that the problem is happening at the kernel level?

Also, if you've going to go on and on about how the problem is happening at the kernel level, you should learn to spell it. ;)

It's not happening at the kernel layer, its happening at the Hardware layer, AKA The HAL layer, which the kernel has no control over if a crash happens there

The only thing a PC can do when a crash happens at the hardware layer is to either hang or reboot, and I doubt its a hang because ATI/Nvidia has checks with their drivers and software that if it detects a hang it shuts down and restarts the video display to prevent a crash

And like I said, only really shoddy programming can pull off a crash like this, and its only been happening to me since the OCT update

And its not just me, TONS of people have been getting this since the OCT update

The reason I listed everything in my system and what its hooked up to for clean power, the tests I run etc was to explain that I've done everything possible under the sun to prove my system is 100% completely stable under even harsh circumstances, and its only this piece of software that is able to cripple it when its not even putting my system under high demand

When I can run Kombustor and OCCT Linepack -TOGEATHER- for 2 hours, and system doesn't fail or reboot, my hardware is 100% completely stable

The fact I run L4D2 or BC2 for 5-8 hours a night sometimes, or played the Black Prophacy beta for 14 hours in one stretch even and no problems is another example that Minecraft is just poorly coded

I just wish he would go back to the OCT update and find out exactly he did which is causing these problems with me and everyone else with the game

Mind you, I can play with distance set to TINY for hours and hours and hours, the crashes start happening when I set distance to its farthest settings, and its not just me that's having the computer wig out when setting view distance to far

Just throwing in that my EEE wont run minecraft... well *technically* it will but once the screen loads I press W and it takes several seconds to move forward 1 step, and forget about the mouse...

Also my desktop will only run it on lowest possible settings (exception being field-of-view, I randomly can change from "tiny" to "huge" without lag then randomly have to change back, no idea why)

Otherwise, awesome game, there are some (many) bugs in it, but those have been patched by 3rd party mod makers. The only thing it really lacks now is the Nether in multiplayer (and a good SDK so mods dont break every update... including a way to add images for new items/mobs/etc)

To those of you saying "Oh your computer is crap, that's why its crashing"

Phenom II 1090t, Radeon 6970, 8gigs ram, 7 hard drives, all in a HAF 932 with 11 Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1900RPM 110CFM ...

Don't know what to tell you bud... I don't have any problems with it. I'm also running a 128x128 texture pack.

I dont understand all the flaming of people talking about how poorly coded this game is.

Its really really bad and i think people here lose sight of this because they are using enthusiast machines and fail to notice. Running this on your typical brown box machine from a B&M is a fucking headache to say the least.

On typical netbook hardware its not really playable, i topped out at 11 FPS on my old netbook.

If you dont have a decent machine minecraft will bring it to its knees and thats ridiculous considering what it actually is.

The absolute worst part of all this though is that its getting worse over time. This is the only game i have ever seen where the alpha performed better than the beta.

I hope notch cleans up his code before "launch". It dont help that he refuses to move away from java either.

I hope notch cleans up his code before "launch". It dont help that he refuses to move away from java either.

Notch probably only knows how to program JAVA

Even if he can program another language, it's going to be a major headache to translate the whole game from JAVA to C++ (for example) --- if you want to see, look on the MC forums, there is a guy who _IS_ translating MC into C++ (and from what I have read it does run better, though it is 100% incompatible with mods, of course, and will take a long, long, long time to finish, possibly never being 100% "up to date" unless notch stops updating when he begins work on Minecraft 2...)

HAHAHHAHAHA

Oh man

HAAHHAAHA

just stop.

Considering I got it from a mulit-million dollar printing company, I doubt they would snow me

And at that, I looked up the specs on the power bar, it gives out cleaner power then even top end APC gear, and also much higher voltage protection

I got it on the job while working on their server network, I took a $30 cut in pay and they gave me one of them to take home, at the time the bar was a $290 value, today its a $200 value

Considering I got it from a mulit-million dollar printing company, I doubt they would snow me

And at that, I looked up the specs on the power bar, it gives out cleaner power then even top end APC gear, and also much higher voltage protection

I got it on the job while working on their server network, I took a $30 cut in pay and they gave me one of them to take home, at the time the bar was a $290 value, today its a $200 value

Yeah I'm sure a $290 part is the only thing powering a 10 million dollar server on 115VAC mains.

That....was......EPIC..

I el oh el'ed IRL:D

While my friends love this game, and spend HOURS a day playing it and see nothing wrong, I personally think it needs some serious help, especially server side. I run the game server for my friends, and that thing eats memory like crazy. Then joining in from the same box...ugh.

Minecraft is like all games... there is always a group that have problems with it, and those that don't. There will be people that like the game and people that don't. There will be those that trash it cause of bad performance on there epic godlike pc or something... then those that can play just fine on their $400 wal-mart laptop (me). Its just the luck of the draw, even the big release games that cost $60 have issues on release, no different.

I've played since alpha and tha game hasn't crashed once that wasn't because of a specific issue with either my computer or with the server. Nothing ever went unexplained, was never java or minecrafts fault.

To the people that were too lazy to look for themselves, and also to stem future misinformation:

Please note that when you buy the game, you're paying for the game as it is right now!
You will also get the full version of Minecraft when it is released.
From the minecraft website.

Man that was tough.

To the people that were too lazy to look for themselves, and also to stem future misinformation:

From the minecraft website.

Man that was tough.

no need to call people lazy. you havent been a member of [H] to be such a douche who quickly...

anyway

http://www.fites.net/fites-news/fites-minecraft-server-up!/msg61484/#msg61484

that message is from a local LAN community i frequent often. He quoted a post from Notch's blog. I also read it at the time. With key information being:

We will also change the license to remove the line that promises all future versions of the game for free. Please note that this change only affects people who buy the game after December 20, so if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise.
Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free.

After looking again, that post has been removed. Notch's feelings much have changed since then.

Back