Millennium Music CD trade for iPod

liquorman

Weaksauce
Check this out, a company called Millennium Music is having a deal where you ship them your used CDs and they burn it onto and iPod and give you the iPod instead of money!

http://www.millenniummusic.com/trades.html

There is a tier for the type of iPod you get for the number of CDs, keep in mind they have requirements for returned CDs. 175 CDs equals a new 60gig iPod! They even count box sets as multiple CDs, so if you have a box set with 5 CDs it counts as 5.

anyone know how I can get this 168 CD box set for under $100? he he

http://cgi.ebay.com/168-CD-Box-JAZZ...Z4814222326QQcategoryZ307QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
my question would be the legality, if you no longer own the cd, do you have the rights to the music??? My understanding is no, that just like buying a game copying it and selling or returning it. I could be wrong, an interesting consept none the less

laserdemon said:
my question would be the legality, if you no longer own the cd, do you have the rights to the music??? My understanding is no, that just like buying a game copying it and selling or returning it. I could be wrong, an interesting consept none the less
My thoughts exactly. No way it's legal unless they return the CD's to you, which obviously they won't do if they're giving you the iPod in exchange. If they're truly doing that, then it's a matter of time before they're shut down.

However I don't see anything on the page linked saying they will put the CD's on the iPod. It just says "trade CD's for an iPod" which *would* be legal if they aren't copying the music.

I Should try this to see if it works. You can grab a ton of cd's from pawn shops, flee markets etc...

DVDs will often count as 2 CDs. DVDs with a high retail value will be counted as 2 CDs. DVDs with a low retail value will be counted as 1 CD. DVD box sets will be counted as multiple DVDs, based on original retail value.-

As you can see if you trade DVD's it counts more.

I already have a video ipod so no use to me.. Interesting concept though,.

I'll make you a deal.

Good condition cd's with Jewel Cases and liner notes that I'd actually be interested in?

$2 a pop, shipped to me.

That's all they are basically doing.

They are reselling them for $6

i knew i shouldnt have thrown away all those jewel cases!

i have a 200 cd wallet filled up from 3 years ago....

doh!

Dunno why, but sounds "scammy." I guess it's a good deal for them, if they're a used music store.

As was said earlier, they ARE a used CD store.
They are paying below market price for the CD's and selling them at a 330ish% markup.

Not a bad little profit there :)

Virii

AznAnarchy99 said:
shipping 175 cds to them must be a real bitch
pffft... shipping. the place is 5 miles from me and this is exactly how i got my ipod. got rid of all my cds and cases that were taking up wall space and didnt have to do any of hte work to put the songs on the ipod

SC385 said:
pffft... shipping. the place is 5 miles from me and this is exactly how i got my ipod. got rid of all my cds and cases that were taking up wall space and didnt have to do any of hte work to put the songs on the ipod
So the ipod you get does indeed have all the songs from the cds you gave them? If that's the case, and they are indeed reselling the cds(which I assume they are), then this is quite shady.

I'm actually thinking about doing this. I have a lot of cd's that i rarely listen to anymore... Anyone else plan on trying this?

I have over 300 cds and there is only about 10 I would be willing to sell. I spent way to much money for them to just give them away for 1 or 2 dollars. I plan on buying an Ipod soon anyways. IMO :p

Where does it say that they will put your music onto the iPod? What I see is a straight trade of CD's for iPods, no copyright issues.

[LYL]Homer said:
Where does it say that they will put your music onto the iPod? What I see is a straight trade of CD's for iPods, no copyright issues.

It doesn't and they don't.

You give them cd's they give you an ipod with NO music on it.

I'm more concerned about their seemingly dubious process of cd selection. I think I'll wait a bit and see if people actually get credited their entire cd collection that they send in.

It would suck to send them 85 cds and have them email you back that they could only accept 15 of them. I seriously doubt they would ship back the other 70 they supposedly couldn't use.

It would be better if you could email them a list of the cds you want to trade in and have them pre-approve or deny the cds.

I just sent out an email to them to see if I can send them a list of my stuff before i send it just to make sure they'll accept it. I'll let ya know what i find.

Knowing ahead of time what they will accept would be very useful. I wouldn't mind shipping off a bunch of my cd's to get an ipod.

I just got a response from them:

Thanks for your interest in our iPod trade deal.

To participate in our trade deal, it is essential that we be able to
physically inspect the CDs in question. Therefore, we cannot make
meaningful decisions based on lists of CD titles.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to write back or
visit our website at http://www.millenniummusic.com/trades.html

Thanks very much,

Mark

Millennium Music

I guess we'll have to wait to see if someone goes ahead and sends the cds.

I did an inventory last night, and I would have to do some digging to come up with 85 (thought I had more than that).

Plus, some of them have one of the tabs on the cd cover faceplate hinge busted off, so I wouldn't be surprised if they rejected those.

bizzz111 said:
Plus, some of them have one of the tabs on the cd cover faceplate hinge busted off, so I wouldn't be surprised if they rejected those.
That's not a big deal, just buy some new jewel cases. They're dirt cheap. Snap out the CD holder and transplant the cover insert and liner notes, snap it back in, voila... it looks like a brand new CD.

Of course there are a few CD's that have those "specialized" jewel cases like where the cd holder is clear and shows artwork through the top of the jewel case near the spine. Not sure where you can buy those but I'm sure they're out there. Most likely though they wouldn't notice if you just replaced with a regular jewel case.

so you are willing to send 175 cds (assume you payed 10 dollars a piece for them) that are worth a total of $1,750 for a $400 ipod? Not to mention your time to send it, the cost of shipment (around $20-$30).

I'll take my music over that and go earn a paycheck to buy an ipod.

Still, good deal if you have a bunch o cheap cds or what have you.

Not saying that I would do it, but here is how I would justify it. I have my entire CD collection ripped to my hard drive anyway so the CDs are basically just taking up space. I would still have the music which is what I actually paid for. The only major downfall would be if the drive took a dump.

FurBurglar said:
Not saying that I would do it, but here is how I would justify it. I have my entire CD collection ripped to my hard drive anyway so the CDs are basically just taking up space. I would still have the music which is what I actually paid for. The only major downfall would be if the drive took a dump.
the music would be on the ipod also

FurBurglar said:
Well that and the questionable legallity.

So i'm wondering if my collection of ~225 CD's taking up space is worthy of being sent in. I don't know how much it will cost to ship it and I don't know of the titles they will accept so i'm debating it.

Thats what worries me, i got 155cd's with jewel's and everything, mostly classic rock, but i really don't want to spend $30 to get it there, have htem accept 40 of them, and then spend $30 for return shipping on the rest.

Okay just an update. I ended up tracking down a lady in a mac forum and was asking her questions about her experience. She said she sent out 140 total crap cds and was impressed that they accepted 80 of them. She paid an extra $12.50 and got a 2 gig nano. They also sent back the extra cds to her and didnt charge her.

So I got my collection together and grabbed some that my wife had lying around and was about to get 180 total discs together. With that, we can get 2, 2 gig nano's, which will be perfect for the gym. I shipped USPS Media mail with tracking and $500 insurance for $21. Not too bad for 40 lbs of cds. I'll update you guys when things get rolling. I figure more people would bite if someone in the [H] forums has a good experience. So far, they've been great with communication.

I've got 625 CD's in transit all over the US *cough*ebay*cough* that will make their way to Millenium, I'm hoping they'll accept 390 of them so I can get 3x 30gb videos, if they happen to accept more I'll get a 60 and two 30's. Total outlay will be just over $400 with shipping the CD's to Millenium. I'm not a gouging reseller either, getting them for my wife and I, and one for each of our pairs of parents.

BTW prices on CD's have gone up from $0.40-0.65 per cd to pushing $2 per cd in the time since I bought. I think it's probably more people trying to get music to put on their iPod than doing this deal, but economically it's a much tougher deal now.

1. rip cds
2. send cds
3. receive ipod and put ripped on ipod or just reburn them all.

im tihnking of juimping on this too

but no way in hell am i sending my original cd collection (quality freak)

but, i will go to some garage sales this saturday :D

i saw this on torrentspy 2-3 months ago

anyway, b4 u sent him the cds, chek what they got for on fleaBay ;)

MasterShredder said:
My CD's were delivered today so I should have some news within the next few days.

Let us know how it goes :). I am pretty intrigued by this :D!

So what happens if they accept, say, 150 CDs, and I only want to "spend" 130 of them on an iPod. Do they pay you for the rest or send them back?

DellAxim said:
So what happens if they accept, say, 150 CDs, and I only want to "spend" 130 of them on an iPod. Do they pay you for the rest or send them back?
I'd like to know that too.

Back