Millennium Bug (20yrs on) - Computerphile

I believe you, since I worked IT for DECADES. I have few stories myself, that I am not at privilege to discuss. Generally speaking though - a majority of businesses I've worked it had been run poorly in many aspects, including IT. It's a culture "thing". To point out "just IT" is bad and neglected is sort of a misnomer though in my experience. Poorly run businesses fail at many aspects. It really depends on the core business. if the core business is "clothing" for example - yes, IT is probably at the bottom and neglected. If the business is Computing, IT is at the top of course. Most of the time it falls in the middle. Again, it's the "as long as it works, it's insignificant - until a fail and the end of the world" mentality. Prevalent throughout all businesses.

You'd be surprised how many "compute" businesses don't have strong IT departments.

I would expect software developers to have "best practices", my experience is they don't (which is great for our business ;);))

You'd be surprised how many "compute" businesses don't have strong IT departments.

I would expect software developers to have "best practices", my experience is they don't (which is great for our business ;);))
I've seen bad and good. Developers doubling as Sysadmins, especially in small shops. No I wouldn't be surprised and I've seen it all.

Back