Millennials Scammed More than Seniors

Holy fuck you guys take shit too literally. I didn't say 87.45232% of HardOCP users were millennials. I made an exaggerated statement to emphasize the fact that a large portion of users on this forum are complaining about a generation which they are themselves a part of.

It's the internets, it's what we do....

I call bs on “Millennials” being born after 1980....

It should be around 1990, most everyone I’ve met who was born before 1990 seems to have the same “traits” that the generation before them had on all the websites I’ve checked.

I was born in 82 and can’t stand the people who take the “millenials” traits to heart. Who here was born before the 1990s and actually align themselves with those viewpoints?

Generations are artificial constructs. I'm not entirely sure why they even exist.

For reference, I am a millennial (1983), I work with millennials that were born in the early/mid 90s and they don't have the qualities and traits that are being outlined in this forum.

It seems to me like the REAL problem is that we live in an age where social media gives a very small but vocal group of a very loud podium on which to sprout their stupidity.

Last edited:
Read a report somewhere that the official "End of adolescence" was being revised by some medical professionals to take place at age 25. due to the number of young adults that were still breastfeeding... er, not living independently.
WTF?

I've read the reports that it just makes more sense in this day and age due to the high cost of living, different social dynamics, etc. etc. But there is a difference between living with your parents, holding down a job and paying rent to them, and being a giant man-child that lives in the basement and has mom bring you hot pockets forever. which seems to be the norm now.

I had been in the Army for 6 years by Age 25, my Dad dropped out of High School after the 9th grade to work, guess that makes me a slacker for leaving home at 18, but damn, 25?
I haven't read that report but ones brain isn't fully developed until around 25--specifically the frontal lobe that controls impulsivity.

Here's a peer reviewed article on the topic, however.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3621648/

Last edited:
While interesting, this data is absolutely useless for drawing conclusions about fraud in the population as a whole. The problem is that this data is about fraud reported by consumers. There is any number of reasons this is problematic. For example, older folks may be both less aware if they've been victimized, or less forthcoming about having been victimized if they are aware. The fact is we just don't know.

You seem awfully defensive....

You seem awfully defensive....

Okay, but this isn't about me, it's about the data and what it does (or doesn't) mean. In this case, a lick of critical thinking should be sufficient to realize that the conclusions being drawn in this thread aren't supported by this data.

Or is this a roundabout way of asking how old I am? Are you going to ask me out? ;)

Okay, but this isn't about me, it's about the data and what it does (or doesn't) mean. In this case, a lick of critical thinking should be sufficient to realize that the conclusions being drawn in this thread aren't supported by this data.

Or is this a roundabout way of asking how old I am? Are you going to ask me out? ;)

Dont get your hopes up...

It is inaccurate to draw the conclusion that any group was actually scammed more than any other group from this data set because it is purely based on self reporting. Further, this is coming from the FTC, which frankly is not exactly very trustworthy lately. Just looking at how they presented their data in general shows there is huge bias there. This dataset had one purpose: to further the divide between "millenials" and "non-millenials" and you guys took the bait like it was the lubed up dildo.

They took the data from their self-reported complaint database, compiled it then reported on it. They're not making any wild assertions or exhibiting bias or furthering some "divide". No conspiracy here.

but you don't actually know this, your pulling numbers out of your ass, to justify your argument.

Born in 1965, btw,
Thanks for providing us with the year you did half the work already! I can provide you with the numbers all i'll need is the last 4 of your social security number and the area you were born in.

Maybe seniors just report the scams less. The younger generation is probably better at finding out how to report fraud since they are more tech savvy. Or seniors just don't realize they were scammed to begin with...

Reactions: DF-1
like this
I said 90%, not 100% I'm well aware that there are a number of forum members that were born before 1980.
Na, More like I found it interesting you were painting with such broad brush strokes. 90% are millennial? Come on, really? 2000 wasn't that long ago.

Na, More like I found it interesting you were painting with such broad brush strokes. 90% are millennial? Come on, really? 2000 wasn't that long ago.

Rofl, we're in a thread that condemns an ENTIRE generation, and I'm the one that gets criticized for painting broad strokes.

The oldest millennials are in their late 30s, so it's not that much of a stretch.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Rofl, we're in a thread that condemns an ENTIRE generation, and I'm the one that gets criticized for painting broad strokes.

The oldest millennials are in their late 30s, so it's not that much of a stretch.

I didn't say 90% were teenagers. Although there may be a few that frequent this forum. I would expect a pretty broad range of ages. There are a lot of guys that dumped one career and got into IT work. Lots of guys out of the military and found a good job in IT. Personally I don't work in the IT field at all anymore but I like to hang out here because of interesting tech news and discussion.

^ No, that pretty well covers it. Clickbait titles (which I swear the admins of this website do for their own entertainment, so I'm not bothered), and self-reported data.

I'm generally pretty confident in my reading comprehension, but I'm not sure how to read this question. What do you mean by taking the traits to heart, or aligning with those viewpoints?

fwiw, I was born in 90, and I consider myself somewhat competent and very intelligent. I'm however socially awkward (I have difficulty remembering names unless I have frequent interactions, and I get nervous when talking face to face for no reason). I'm pretty much the mirror image of my brother who is two years older than me, socially competent, but mistaken by default (adhd, so he has to focus hard on what he is doing or he will make a mistake. I may also have some adhd, but it doesn't show so much as in him. I usually recognize when I'm about to do something dumb and correct myself beforehand, probably because I'm ocd, whereas he seems incapable of that at times).

Anyway, whatever disorders I may or may not have, I haven't been scammed afaik. I might have been taken advantage of on occasion, but I blame my lack of experience more than anything, and don't hold it against anyone.

I’ve worked with 18+ year old kids every year from 99-Present and I didn’t see any significant changes until after 2007. Meaning the kids born sometime after 1990 have the traits most all sources have for “millienials”.

Anyone born in the 1980s likely didn’t have internet and if they did it was a completely different world than it was in say 2000.

The DOD published several studies on how kids physical abilities and traits fell over a course of several years. Again pointing to people born after the early 1990’s.

I just don’t understand the reasoning of calling people born in 1980+ millenials and labeling them in the same generation as people who had completely different realities of being a kid regardless of family income or location.

Back