Mild overclocking...........Any advice

niceplace

Weaksauce
I was thinking of doing some mild overclocking and was hoping someone can give me some figures for the below system

MSI - K8N neo 2 platinum

AMD 64 3200 athlon (venice)

1gb Corsair value select DDR pc3200 / 400

Im not looking to be the fastest kid on the block, i would just like to get a bit more from the system without my cpu dying prematurely. I know the memory my be a sticking point so do you think aiming for upping the processor to 2.2ghz is asking to much. I have core centre installed and had a little dabble at upping the fsb. I set it to 210mhz and the system seemed ok so i upped it to 220mhz which resulted in an immediate bsod. What i also need to be careful about is the pc is a dual boot and i dont want the person using the other partition to be getting crashes. I know nothing about overclocking so if someone could give me some figures i could work to, that would be great.

Alright.
First, make sure to "LOCK" your AGP/PCI/PCIe busses. The method to do this is different for each motherboard. Google is your friend.

Now, change your HTT multiplier (or CPU to NB connect speed, or other names) to 4x, or 800mhz (depending on wheter your BIOS uses the yx or yyyy format)

Next, up your FSB to 220.

Lastly, set your RAM to use the 5:6 divider. If you can't find anything about "dividers" look for a way to set your DDR frequency from DDR400 to DDR366. (effectively a 5:6 divider).

This is a very safe overclock... Shouldn't result in anything bad.

hey - i have the same board with a newcastle 3500...

i just posted this - you should find some helpful stuff here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1073230

make sure that if you have SATA drives that you use SATA 3 and 4 as opposed to 1 or 2. so basically use the SATA connectors that are closest to your CPU and not the ones at the edge by the expansion slot area.

Also, CoreCell makes it pretty darn easy to overclock to a safe point.

i'm at 2.45Ghz right now w/ 5/6. nothing too crazy but effective.

Arcygenical said:
Alright.
First, make sure to "LOCK" your AGP/PCI/PCIe busses. The method to do this is different for each motherboard. Google is your friend.

Now, change your HTT multiplier (or CPU to NB connect speed, or other names) to 4x, or 800mhz (depending on wheter your BIOS uses the yx or yyyy format)

Lastly, set your RAM to use the 5:6 divider. If you can't find anything about "dividers" look for a way to set your DDR frequency from DDR400 to DDR366. (effectively a 5:6 divider).

This is a very safe overclock... Shouldn't result in anything bad.
good points - i basically followed this too - in terms of the divider, go through the bios to apply 166.

Thanks for the info all, just a bit over my head but i intend to go slowly through the suggestions and see if i can get anywhere. Its a bit late in the day now so i think i will give core centre a look and see how far i get with it. Same again though its late in the day and my beauty sleep calls :D . I will post back here with my efforts. Before i depart, stormshadow i dont think i would be able to get as far as you , i dont think my memory is as good as yours. As ive said i would be happy with 2.2ghz, unless of course the overclocking bug gets me :D .

lol @ beauty sleep.

yea - corecenter automatically notches up until the limit then notches down a spot or two to achieve a stable point.

I changed the memory to 166 before starting Core Center so I don't know if you should do the memory adjustment first or to let CoreCenter do everything. I don't know if they can change memory...

anyways - sleep tight. :D

the overclocking bug will get you, once it all starts to make sense. last week i knew nothing about oc'ing and now my athlon 3200+ (venice) is 2.6ghz, air-cooled w/ stock hsf, mid 40c temp under load, ddr400 mem freq at 200.6mhz.

you ran into problems probably because your ram wasnt to pleased about being overclocked. cuz when you raise the htt your ram freq matches it. im very confident that with a bit of research and patience you could squeeze quite a bit out of it.

I gave core centre a go and it got me running at 2130mhz. I let it run for awhileanddone a benchmark and all was ok and stable. So i gave these instructions a go after searching on web for more info

First, make sure to "LOCK" your AGP/PCI/PCIe busses. The method to do this is different for each motherboard. Google is your friend

This is a very safe overclock... Shouldn't result in anything bad..

This has my system running at 2200mhz no problems as yet. So a big thanks to Arcygenical.

I made the above changes in the bios not with core centre i had a bit of trouble with the ram divider which i have set to "166" is this correct.

I have a few more questions

Can i use cool 'n' quiet with the above set up

Could i still use core centres tweaking utility

I dont fully understand the figures above or should i say there relationship to each other. For instance if i wanted to increase the overclock do i just up the fsb till i get instability and back of a bit. Or do i have to also adjust the ram divider. I am presuming the agp lock is a constant am i right.

syndr0me, i think i can feel the first symptoms of the over clocking bug, i just hope i dont get it to bad and see any blue smoke :D cos i dont have blue smoke recovery cash :D .

stormshadow, i wonder if there,s a help manual somewhere for core centre.

And for anyone who,s remotely interested my beauty sleep didnt work :D

yes you do have to use the mem divider, cuz when you raise the htt/fsb your mem clock matches it. for example if you raise htt/fsb to 250, your mem clock will also be 250. my htt is 306 so i have my ram set to a 4/6 divider, which made my ram sit less than 1 mhz over it's stock clock.

OK, thanks. I couldnt resist upping things a bit in the cpu speed stakes and my systems running stable at 2300mhz. Im gonna leave it at that for the time being if it stays stable. I need to do some more reading on overclocking before i even think of going any further. Im still trying to find out if its ok to use Cool "n" Quiet with my overclock. Im just editing this as ive found an article on cool"n" quiet and overclocking on this forum.

Back