Migration to Identical hardware

[L]imey

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience moving a hard drive (ssd) from one laptop to another identical laptop without needing to reinstall windows.

I bought an ASUS zephyrus laptop, which unfortunately had a hardware defect on the hinge. I've sent it back and am getting an exactly replacement. I kept the SSD that had windows and my core applications on it, which I was hoping to swap back into the new laptop once I get it.

With the hardware being identical, I'm hoping to not need to reinstall. But, since windows self activates now, and it seems to be based on some hardware hash, i was worried it might see some variation in the motherboard serial number or something? I 'm not quite sure how that works.

Normally I'd be all for a fresh install, but there was a lot of configuration to a number of programs that I will lose and need to redo if I have to reinstall.

Anyone have experience here?

Thanks very much

James

I've done it on 2 older identical Dell's with Windows 7 on spinners.

Windows just asked to reboot because of changes after the first boot then all was good.

Possibly Win 10 will do same, But, I would make an image of the drive before I put it in other machine in case Windows changes something in the move.

I moved a SSD Win 7 Pro from one desktop to another desktop that had a SSD with Win 7 Home and I didn't even have to reactivate since the builds were done with the same parts for that very purpose. Hope this helps.

ssWin 7 Home

have done this before, no prob just reboot once and it was good to go. done with 7 and 10

Back