Migrating to one large SSD. I'm lost

GetFunk01

Gawd
OK. I have 2 drives in my system. A 120GB SSD C:\ and a 1TB HDD with a D: and E: drives. My new SSD is 1TB but I only want to have my C: and D: moved over with the E left on the HDD as its just movies and music. How do I do this. Please and thanks

If it were my setup
I would clone the C drive to the new SSD first, and make that C partition 256GB.
After cloning, I would make the rest of the new SSD D drive but you will probably need a different letter at first, make it F, copy all of the D drive to the new F drive.
Remove the D Drive letter, change F to D, and you are done.

After you make sure all of the D drive stuff was moved over, remove the old D partition from the 1TB hard drive and see if you can resize E to use the rest of the space.

Yeah I understand I need to clone my C: but with my D: is there a program to copy or just copy/paste?

I clone with macrium reflect free. Make a clone of the c drive and you make the 120 b take the whole 1 terabyte. Than move your files over manually with a drag.

Easy US Backup is the easiest way to do this if you dont have samsung drive (samsung provides software to do this).

Use the clone option to clone your C drive. Make sure to check "optimize for SSD". That is VERY important. It will align the partition properly for SSD use. Other clone programs may not do this.

When the C drive is cloned, boot to it and then create another partition to store your data. You can use Partition Wizard (free for windows) to resize and create partitions on the SSD.

One the data is copied. Remove the drive letters from your old drive and set them on the new ssd as others have recommended.

I have done this process a million times, it works well.

EDIT: EasyUS might require that the source partiton be smaller than the available space on the destination disk. I cannot remember. You should shrink the source partition before attempting to do the clone. Partition wizard can do this painlessly. http://www.partitionwizard.com/

And alternative option #32:

1. Burn a Linux Live CD/DVD (I prefer Mint).
  2. Make sure both SSD's are in the computer, you can just unplug power to HDD for now
  3. Boot Live CD and open command tool
  4. determine which SSD is named /dev/sda and /dev/sdb (google it)
  5. use the "dd" command to physically clone your old SSD to new SSD...this will do a bit for bit clone and get all boot information (google it)
  6. Be sure to add the "bs" option to speed up dd
  7. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4096
  8. Remove the old SSD from system
  9. Boot into windows
  10. go to computer management and then disk management
  11. Your new SSD will be set to size of the old one with a bunch of unused area left over.
  12. resize/expand your C: parition to whatever you want.
  13. Then create a new partition (D:\) using the left over.
  14. Now install (or plug in the power plug) to your platter HDD.
  15. Simply copy and paste everything from the HDD to the D:\ on the SSD.

Finished. So far so good. No problems yet. AS SSD tests show correct speeds. Success. Thanks everyone for your input.

Back