Migrating Roaming Profiles XP to Win7

gimp

[H]F Junkie
So it looks like we will soon be deploying Win7 in one of our 24/7 facilities.
We are using roaming profiles because, well, the employees roam between units; ie, computers.

I know Microsoft doesn't make any tools for (mass, centralized) profile migrations, short of the USMT which wouldn't exactly be efficient, and very time consuming, with ~300 employees and ~150 computers.

Are there any open source or otherwise freebie profile migration tools to migrate frrom an XP v1 profile to a Vista/7 v2 profile?

I've been searching on google for a couple hours today but am having absolutely no luck; everything I find only references the USMT or Windows Easy Transfer.

It's not that we need the whole profile migrated, but we don't want to have to go through reconfiguring 300 employees Outlook's, especially when quite a few of those folks work the graveyard shift and we don't have 24/7 desktop support.

Then we also have at least 3 more 24/7 facilities that would be coming down the road sometime.

What version of Outlook/Exchange are you running?

Would it not be possible to pre-configured the graveyard shift users using their Windows account and password?

XP boxen are running Outlook 2007.
Win7 boxen will be running Outlook 2010.

We're not wanting to have to reconfigure all the profiles if at all possible...

as for this:

Would it not be possible to pre-configured the graveyard shift users using their Windows account and password?

our Exchange environment is on a different domain. No Exchange 2007 or 2010, so no auto-discover. I don't do the desktop support, and I'm not sure how they (may have) customized the Office 2010 install.

I'm the server admin, and it's a whole 'nother story with the old EOL server that doesn't have much free space lol

Last edited:
The USMT v4.1 works best for this. It has the ability to move parts of profiles rather than all of it. You'd have to utilize command line switches & config files to make it work though.

The USMT v4.1 works best for this. It has the ability to move parts of profiles rather than all of it. You'd have to utilize command line switches & config files to make it work though.

can this be run frrom the server where the profiles are stored?

edit: found the manual for USMT.. nope. We don't want to run the tool on each machine. Each machine will probably have ~50 profiles on it, with some of those profiles being from employees who have left. Plus, some users will have profiles on upwards of 20+ machines; don't need to "migrate" their roaming profile 20 times.

Looking for something that can be run on the server-side to migrate the profile folder share.

Last edited:
Yes, it can be run remotely.

remotely? don't necessarily need to run it remotely; just need it to "convert" the roaming profile folders on the file server. not wanting to have to run something on each and every desktop; considering we wouldn't even know which computer has the users' "most recent" profile on it.

Regardless... it can be done. I recommend going over the documentation for USMT 4.01

Regardless... it can be done. I recommend going over the documentation for USMT 4.01

how?
USMT can't read profile information directly from the server profile share; only from the client machines where the user has actually logged on.

as for reading the documentation, I've looked at it several times. All it says is to run USMT on the client machine to migrate the profiles that exist on that client machine. It also says USMT will not run on a Windows Server OS.

Everything I can find online that talks about using it to convert roaming profiles, gives me the impression that they have single-user computers, so they're not converting the same users profile 10 times with 10 different copies on 10 different computers. They are still running the utility on the client machines.

Last edited:
yeah, that's pretty much what I have found.
I did find a couple programs that can supposedly do it, the Immidio FlexProfiles being one.
Unfortunately, funding for IT-related stuff is a bitch.
Hence the free part :p

I have been wanting to look in to doing more with Folder Redirection, since some folks save a lot of stuff to their desktop; unfortunately the whole process of adding/editing GPO's is... a bit difficult with the way our org is setup.

Looks like I'll have to start doing more digging.

Back