Migrating Outlook Express to Outlook 2003 with > 2 GB data

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
I have the task of migrating an email system from Outlook Express on an old PC to Outlook 2003 on a newer PC. Both PCs run Windows XP SP3. The older PC also has Outlook 2000. Basically the software is so old I've forgotten how to do it!

When I try to export the email from Outlook Express on the old PC in toto, it fails - Outlook Express hangs - because the total email size is > 2 GB. I'm aware that I can export subsections of the mail: I'm thinking of splitting it into Inbox and Sent. When I initiate the export process I do not get asked for a file name. I do not recall if the export process will append or replace. So how can I export the email from Outlook Express to multiple PSTs?

Make sure the deleted and junk folders are empty. Also, ask the user if you can delete the sent mail, up to a certain point (say 30 days). That should help reduce the size of the data.

The other option would to just manually grab the PST file from the users folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

Then create the user in 2003, and select to import the PST.

Back