Migrate Veracrypt system boot partition to a different, smaller drive?

postcd

Weaksauce
Hello, i am having 120GB Windows 7 system partition on a 1TB drive. This partition is encrypted using Veracrypt system encryption.
I need to put this 120GB partition on a different smaller (160GB) drive.
According to this tutorial, i have booted live system and ran Linux disk cloning for a few minutes: dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda (i know sdx was right)
Trying to achieve boot record be copied. And it was.
Then i have copied the system partition using gparted and set a boot flag to it inside gparted.
On new drive boot i am able to see Veracrypt pre-boot authentication, password is OK, but it says unable to find boot partition. I do not know why since the gparted partition copy was ok.

Update: i ended up installing new Windows, but if you have idea what may worked, i would like to know. Thank you

Last edited:

likeman

Gawd
Hello, i am having 120GB Windows 7 system partition on a 1TB drive. This partition is encrypted using Veracrypt system encryption.
I need to put this 120GB partition on a different smaller (160GB) drive.
According to this tutorial, i have booted live system and ran Linux disk cloning for a few minutes: dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda (i know sdx was right)
Trying to achieve boot record be copied. And it was.
Then i have copied the system partition using gparted and set a boot flag to it inside gparted.
On new drive boot i am able to see Veracrypt pre-boot authentication, password is OK, but it says unable to find boot partition. I do not know why since the gparted partition copy was ok.

Update: i ended up installing new Windows, but if you have idea what may worked, i would like to know. Thank you
use somthing that can clone inside windows while the disk is unencrypted (unlocked) like acronis true image it can usually clone while inside windows you need to re encrypt after

or un-encrypt the disk and then clone using boot usb (still recommend acronis true image) once cloned then re-encrypt if needed

trying to clone a encrypted software disk doesn't always work