Might & Magic Heroes VI

kledar586

[H]ard|Gawd
Well they have a demo out and I was playing it last night for a bit. Anyone else checked it out yet or is in open beta? Niche title I know.

Thanks for the heads up on the demo! I'll check it out this weekend.

I actually enjoyed V, though the later games haven't really touched 2 and 3.

I have a lot of hopes for this, I used to the play shit out of 3.

I will definitely check out the demo tonight.

Sadly this is an Ubisoft game and considering all their lame DRM lately and their lack of proper patching support for several recent games I wont be spending a dime on this game.

How about Might and Magic X instead. We need some more party based RPG's coming out. I'm tired of the Superman bullshit ala The Elder Scrolls.

My first dislike is that they tied the resources (mines, lumberyards) with a fort so that you cannot flag them unless you take the fort first. I'm not really sure what this added to the gameplay besides maybe more sieges. And where the hell is my wizards and titans (my guess is DLC)

Does anyone know what sort of DRM ubi-soft is using ? Like the poster above I've been avoiding games with drm that makes it difficult to play (i.e, 24/7 internet and similar)

Well the demo seem to have an offline mode, in fact the demo seems to be offline mode only since i do have an internet connection.

Does anyone know what sort of DRM ubi-soft is using ? Like the poster above I've been avoiding games with drm that makes it difficult to play (i.e, 24/7 internet and similar)
As much as I want another HOMM to play with, if it has 24/7 DRM, it's a no buy automatically. I guess we'll probably have to wait until release to find out.

Demo is pretty big at over 4gb! Initial impressions seem pretty good, well if you like this sort of thing anyways, feels true to past HOMM games. I'm gonna consider getting this later on, since I'm going to be a bit swamped this fall with new games already.

My first dislike is that they tied the resources (mines, lumberyards) with a fort so that you cannot flag them unless you take the fort first. I'm not really sure what this added to the gameplay besides maybe more sieges. And where the hell is my wizards and titans (my guess is DLC)

I actually like this change. Nothing was quite as annoying in the older ones as having to chase around 5+ enemy armies that consist of 4 level 1 units and a hero running around capping things and staying just out of range of your armies, and even if you did catch them eventually it was a worthless kill/fight.

My brother pre-ordered it and played the demo a lil' while ago. If it looks good when he gets it i'll probably buy.

I actually like this change. Nothing was quite as annoying in the older ones as having to chase around 5+ enemy armies that consist of 4 level 1 units and a hero running around capping things and staying just out of range of your armies, and even if you did catch them eventually it was a worthless kill/fight.

My brother pre-ordered it and played the demo a lil' while ago. If it looks good when he gets it i'll probably buy.

I also like the change, it allows them to design maps more focused on keep control. You can still harass enemy mines, at level 5 you can buy a skill called, "Plunder Mine" that will let you steal 3 days worth of production from enemy mines.

My biggest problem so far is the lackluster hero skills and spells. They feel very weak compared to Heroes 5. Gone are the unique abilities like Howl of Terror and spells like Puppet Master to be replaced with rather weak and generic skills.

Disagree, that was a huge part of the tactics to ninja materials. Most of the tactics was to not worry about those guys stealing a chunk of ore and wood (what does it matter if you have 60wood/ore anyways). You keep the one mineral you need to produce lvl 7's and that was pretty much it.

Besides it was pretty easy to defend with a low lvl hero with lvl 1-4 creatures.

Not sure I like fortifying, but I'll wait till I play the game first.

Really played a lot of 3, but that's the last of it's kind that I played. I'll be curious to hear how things go.

Not really liking this one so far. Game feels over-simplified on the strategy front (it was never very complex to begin with). They try to make it more RPG like King's Bounty but that's not what I'm looking for in HoMM. Probably gonna skip this one personally.

How about Might and Magic X instead. We need some more party based RPG's coming out. I'm tired of the Superman bullshit ala The Elder Scrolls.

A lot of people really don't like having to manage a party, would much rather just forget about how realistically the game works, and would just rather play it to absorb the story and have a good time. Those people don't want to waste their time managing 3 characters; they just want to play the game.

i'm about 75% through the demo, and i'm a big homm3 fan

don't really think this is worth $50 or whatever they want for it, seems like you're better off waiting for this to go down to $20

just reading the forums makes it sound like it'll be released in an incomplete state, and you're better off waiting till it gets patched up

A lot of people really don't like having to manage a party, would much rather just forget about how realistically the game works, and would just rather play it to absorb the story and have a good time. Those people don't want to waste their time managing 3 characters; they just want to play the game.
Not every game has to appeal to everyone. I don't care for a lot of FPS games but they exist for a reason. Party based RPG's are traditional and should continue being released.

Disappointed to hear this new HOMM is not looking so hot. Would love to have gameplay similar to the 2nd and 3rd games with new graphics etc. I tried 5 a while back and while not bad, it didn't hook me quite the way the older entries in the series did.

And hell yeah I want to see a party-based RPG again. I recently got a wild hair to play some old games so went through M&M III again, that brought back some sweet memories. The music and sound effects are especially good at "taking you back". Of course to play games that old you have to make sure you haven't lost your nostalgia goggles. I know, great story bro. :p

Game comes out today. What is this subscription thing attached to it?

Deluxe Edition Content
Soundtrack.
Artbook/Poster.
One month subscription on Heroes Kingdom.
1 Bonus Single Player Skirmish Map.
4 Dynasty Heroes : Aguirre, Sveltana, Yume and Kraal.
2 Dynasty Weapon : Staff of Cleansing and Staff of Asha’s Eightfold.
Content is delivered via download only.

It's some browser-based game.

I'm curious to hear your impressions of Heroes 6 if you have it. I wanted badly to like Heroes 5, but back when it came out, it was atrociously poorly optimized and you'd spend like 10 times as much time waiting for the AI factions to complete their turns than doing anything else.

There is a demo for Heroes 6. AI turn speed didn't seem longer than what is expected for any turn based game based on that. Could just be modern CPUs are just overkill these days, but my 2500k is only at stock.

Afaik the Heroes spin-off of the Might & Magic franchise has always been about TBS and this one looks pretty much just like Heroes V at a glance from the screenshots I've seen.

The basic game play remains the same but certain design decisions left me scratching my head.

So far the blinking cursor is driving me NUTS!

Otherwise it's more HoMM fun with minor changes here and there.

I don't like the over-complicated(see: simplified) character screens, and figuring out how to "buy all" had me confused for a bit.

I think they made some terrible choices when it came to city management as well but you do get used to it slowly. It's different but not horrible.

I haven't played too long(GF aggro), but it LOOKED nice(was hard to see resources sometimes though) and everything was more or less the same.

I doubt I'll play the campaign, I never have in these games. I just set up 2-3 player maps and play with the roomies for a few hours for fun.

I doubt I'll play the campaign, I never have in these games. I just set up 2-3 player maps and play with the roomies for a few hours for fun.

Campaigns in the HOMM series are some of the hardest I've ever encountered. I think I read that HOMM2 cheated in certain campaigns where it would have more enemies than possible at certain points in the game.

HoMM2 campaigns were tough....didn't know they cheated..bastards. HoMM3 wasn't that bad in the original campaigns but the expansion pack campaigns were hard as shit and I've played non-stop HoMM when I got to them.

This unofficial hotfix resolved the flickering/blinking cursor for me. Apparently it was made to resolve the black screen at startup issue but gets rid of the cursor probs too.

Original thread

My thirty second review. It is not bad, quite pretty, still doesn't hold a candle to HOMM3. Still dont know what the 3D view actually is for other than to make it harder to see stuff. Preferred HOMMV combat screen. HOMM3 + Wake of Gods + HD patch + XXL maps poo's on this from quite an elevated positon. Oh, no random map generator or haven't found it so far. Suspect will be some lovely micro cost involved.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've had it with how they implement the patching system from the HOMM series. You have to get it piece-by-piece (ex: 1.0 to 1.1, 1.1 to 1.2....etc) They just could not get it to be patched to the latest version right away.

/rant

My thirty second review. It is not bad, quite pretty, still doesn't hold a candle to HOMM3. Still dont know what the 3D view actually is for other than to make it harder to see stuff. Preferred HOMMV combat screen. HOMM3 + Wake of Gods + HD patch + XXL maps poo's on this from quite an elevated positon. Oh, no random map generator or haven't found it so far. Suspect will be some lovely micro cost involved.

I got this myself. I have all the other HOMM games and I must agree that none holds a candle to HOMM3.

Where did you see the 3D view? I've tried the game with 3D vision. Though some looks good, the shiny vegetation looks bad with it. With a profile, it might look fantastic. HOMM 5 looks wonderful in 3D vision and for once the new graphics made some sense.

This game is different from the others. More weight on character management and less on resource management. I find it a bit refreshing, though many don't like it. I think I need to get used to it before giving it a final opinion though. :)

Where did you see the 3D view? I've tried the game with 3D vision. Though some looks good, the shiny vegetation looks bad with it. With a profile, it might look fantastic. HOMM 5 looks wonderful in 3D vision and for once the new graphics made some sense. QUOTE]

Sorry I forgot that technology has moved on now :) I was talking about the pseudo-3D that that later HOMM games use as opposed to the simple 2D that HOMM3 used.

Sorry I forgot that technology has moved on now :) I was talking about the pseudo-3D that that later HOMM games use as opposed to the simple 2D that HOMM3 used.

Ah, that explains it. :D I was looking for a 3D setting, hoping the game had its own 3D since using 3D vision gave too many artifacts.

I agree that the simple 2D from HOMM3 was much better. However, if you try homm5 with stereoscopic 3d, it will make more sense.

Any idea what's with the terrible performance? Even the main menu gets 1-2 second pauses on a gtx 260 + q6600 at stock (not my rig). I'm assuming it's something to do with the DRM because the demo didn't perform nearly as badly or have the flickering cursor. Trying to scroll the map with the mouse is just futile due to the skipping.

Any idea what's with the terrible performance? Even the main menu gets 1-2 second pauses on a gtx 260 + q6600 at stock (not my rig). I'm assuming it's something to do with the DRM because the demo didn't perform nearly as badly or have the flickering cursor. Trying to scroll the map with the mouse is just futile due to the skipping.

I had that problem too, fixed it by changing my polling rate on my mouse from 1000hz to 125 hz.

I can't seem to see any pauses (besides the logging into the conflux), but I do have the flickering cursor. Scrolling the map with the mouse is also not a problem.

I'm using a GTX 570 with [email protected] and 285.38 drivers. The game isn't light on the GPU, even in menu. Try to dial down the settings and see if that helps. :)

Polling rate was a good idea to test the flickering. :)

This is one of two titles that occasionally BSOD's my machine due to GPU issues (I think the poor thing doesn't have enough power). I also see a lot of complaints from laptop users of which the GPU is typically the weak link.

Back