Might get a second 19" LCD, but which one?

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
Primary - LG L1920P 19" LCD (DVI)
Secondary - Viewsonic 15" LCD (VGA -> DVI adapter)

Well, I was trying to trade my Best Buy gift cards for a Newegg gift certificate to buy a Palit 9600GT Sonic, but there hasn't been much interest. Amazingly I won a Sonic last night over at the TechPowerUp forums because their Palit rep is awesome. Now I'm thinking about using my Best Buy gift cards to buy a new monitor. What's their dead pixel policy?

My LG monitor is pretty nice. It's a beautiful display, but like some reviews state, its video performance isn't spectacular. It would be a great secondary monitor, but for gaming and video, I want something better.

I have $172.77 in Best Buy gift cards, so my budget (including them) is around $200. Stupid sales tax.

I'm looking for the best 19" monitor for gaming and video that Best Buy carries, widescreen or standard aspect. My LG is black and not glossy, and I'd like to match it as best I can. No speakers, please. In addition, my LG sits really low. If I recall correctly, its height cannot be adjusted, so I would like a monitor that can sit comparably low.

If there's a display that's significantly better and worth its higher price, let me know.

Thoughts on these displays?
Westinghouse L1975NW
Hannspree HF-199HPB

Thanks!

I suppose I could with a silver panel, and I suppose I could put a book under my LG to raise it to the same level if needed.

The Palit 9600GT Sonic has an HDMI output, so a monitor with an HDMI port would be nice. I guess I'd have to get something more like an HD TV, right? And the cheap HDMI cables are just as good as the expensive ones I hear.

Monoprice FTW. HDMI and DVI are completely compatible with each other; HDMI is basically DVI+audio in a different form factor. I am using this DVI/HDMI cable between by 8800 GTS 512MB (DVI) and my LG L246WP-BN (HDMI) and it works just fine. The very same cable would connect a HDMI video card and a DVI monitor without any problems. Many computer monitors now come with a HDMI input too, BTW, not just HDTV's.

People are saying it's quite a change going from a standard 19" to a widescreen 19". I'm running 1280x1024 right now, and the widescreen is going to shrink me down to 900.

I'm thinking maybe I should go with a 1680x1050 display. Is that native to mostly 22" displays? Best Buy has 20" and 22" displays listed. This Hannspree one looks pretty good, and would take advantage of the HDMI output. It's also a decent price. although not have the best rating. This Dell seems highly rated, but no HDMI support, and it's $300.

Monoprice FTW. HDMI and DVI are completely compatible with each other; HDMI is basically DVI+audio in a different form factor. I am using this DVI/HDMI cable between by 8800 GTS 512MB (DVI) and my LG L246WP-BN (HDMI) and it works just fine. The very same cable would connect a HDMI video card and a DVI monitor without any problems. Many computer monitors now come with a HDMI input too, BTW, not just HDTV's.

Basically you're saying that HDMI isn't necessary unless you need the display to output the audio as well?

Basically you're saying that HDMI isn't necessary unless you need the display to output the audio as well?

Correct. The only difference between a HDMI-HDMI cable and a HDMI-DVI cable besides the obvious form-factor difference is that the former transmits audio as well (assuming a HDMI source that has audio). Well, that and DVI can transmit analogue data too (with a DVI-I or DVI-A cable), and HDMI can't, but other than connecting to an old VGA-only monitor (especially a CRT), being able to transmit analogue data is pretty useless anyway with LCD monitors being natively digital.

Back