Midtower Case with space for a few hard disks

mda

2[H]4U
Hi All,

I'd like to build a new machine soon around a midtower case (if the rumors are true about the 3600X/3700X, or if Intel has something good up its sleeve for 2019).

I'd like it to be/have:
1. 6 3.5" ports (I'm a dinosaur and I like my 3.5 drives)
2. Industrial design (While my Phantom 630 for my current build keeps things very cool, it's a tad too big and I'm not a super big fan of the design).
3. Good cooling (part of why I got the Phantom 630 to begin with)
4. Quiet - appreciate the difference the Phantom 630 made over the older Corsair 500R I have in another build.
5. ATX - no plans for EATX
6. No plans on AIO or water cooling at all, I'm happy with a smallish noctua N12/N14 heat sink and that's it.
7. Will fit a good gaming GPU (case doesn't need to be THAT small)

I've been looking around and it seems the Fractal Define R6 and the Phanteks Evolv ATX and ATX seem to work
EXCEPT:
1. R6 - Can't easily remove the PSU shroud (dusty location means the PSU is normally face up for me)
2. Phanteks - Need to order the extra drive caddies; I'm not from the US so this will take a while to arrive if I can source the parts at all.

Aside from the 3 cases on the shortlist, there doesn't seem to be any other good case from NZXT or Corsair that will fit these 'wants'. Also took a look at Lian Li's offerings and only the full tower options will meet these requirements.

Has anyone heard a whiff of any other current or upcoming cases that will fit this bill? Looks like everyone's going 2.5 these days and most cases don't have a lot of 3.5" anymore. I could do with a maximum of one 5.25" drive for the odd DVD every now and then but I could live without one.

Thanks!

The PSU intake is dust filtered on the R6, which really should be as good as the front intakes?

If you checkout the LTT long term dust test, they did have one R5 tower blowing OUT in the bottom, which kept dust away from the PSU intake behind it.

http://nanoxia-world.com/en/product...0/deep-silence-3-dark-black?c=127#prettyPhoto

Amazon used to carry all 6 versions of these cases, but now only list 2.

This Silverstone case can support large cards but not a full size 1080ti, looking at images on google, cards that don't overhang the motherboard will fit, my 1080ti ftw overhangs about 2".
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA6NJE...b6a6-1f08ebe62193&ie=UTF8&qid=1547093045&sr=1

IMG_1684.JPG

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://nanoxia-world.com/en/product...0/deep-silence-3-dark-black?c=127#prettyPhoto

Amazon used to carry all 6 versions of these cases, but now only list 2.

This Silverstone case can support large cards but not a full size 1080ti, looking at images on google, cards that don't overhang the motherboard will fit, my 1080ti ftw overhangs about 2".
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA6NJE...b6a6-1f08ebe62193&ie=UTF8&qid=1547093045&sr=1

View attachment 134102

Thanks for this.

No Nanoxias in our country, but seems like the Deep Silent 3 seems good.

Will look around for the Silverstones.

The PSU intake is dust filtered on the R6, which really should be as good as the front intakes?

If you checkout the LTT long term dust test, they did have one R5 tower blowing OUT in the bottom, which kept dust away from the PSU intake behind it.

Thank you for this info. In that case, I probably have nothing to worry about having a non removable PSU shroud.

------

Also saw that some of the Cooler Master MasterCase 6/5 derivatives may fit the bill.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just to update...

Looks like the Enthoo M Pro ticks most of the boxes, and isn't as expensive as all the other stuff.

Looks like I'll be starting to pick up stuff for the X570 build...

Last edited:
I have the Pro M but it’s not being used because to fit the 360 radiator I’d have to remove the 5 1/4 external drive cage which I still need. It’s a nice case overall...

I have the Pro M but it’s not being used because to fit the 360 radiator I’d have to remove the 5 1/4 external drive cage which I still need. It’s a nice case overall...

Have you otherwise built a running PC inside the case? How's the noise on this?

I got the motherboard in there and then tried mounting the radiator so it never was turned on.

I apologize for not being able to tell you about the noise profile.

No worries! Looking forward to this case either way. Just may need a few noctua fans to keep the noise down.

I'm not planning on any kind of water cooling at all so I suppose I'll be good with this.

The only negative reviews I've seen on this so far is that the acrylic version seems to have a rattling noise, which seems to have been fixed with the TG variant (this is my only reason to get the TG... the acrylic/closed side is actually fine by me!)

Edit: Also saw that the Enthoo Pro non M, and the Luxe are also decent.

Also saw the recently released P600s... ok I think I'll have to research on these options. :D

Last edited:
I love my Luxe and my wife likes mine enough that she may go for one soon. I barely hear anything from the computer when it's on but my CPU is watercooled so that's not comparable to your situation. The Pro M may have a problem with large air coolers so you might want to check that your cooler height will fit in the case you end up choosing.

I love my Luxe and my wife likes mine enough that she may go for one soon. I barely hear anything from the computer when it's on but my CPU is watercooled so that's not comparable to your situation. The Pro M may have a problem with large air coolers so you might want to check that your cooler height will fit in the case you end up choosing.

Saw the Luxe 2 and the P600S announced at CES.

I might go for one of those instead...

Edit: Just to update for anyone interested -- seems I'm going for the P600S. I'd really have preferred manufacturers add ONE 5.25 slot, but since I have other systems at home, this wouldn't be much of a problem. But if it's an issue between the 5.25 slot and better airflow (vs the Fractal R6), then I'm taking the P600s.

Last edited:
Back